Graphice Issues after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neoto

Graphice Issues after install

Post by Neoto »

I just installed linux mint, only I had to install on one computer (that allowed for a usb boot) and then move the hard drive with the new mint install back into its computer. Everything seems to be working okay, except its running in low graphics mode. I'm pretty sure this is because I moved the harddrive to this computer after the install. Its running an old nvidia driver, but when I try to install the driver for it, cinnamon crashes. I followed a post that I don't think I should have, which recommended installing ubuntu-desktop, but other than that, everything is still very fresh.. I tried nividia-current and nvidia-173, both had the same effect, cinnimon crashing. I don't really need the nvidia driver.. the default linux driver for nvidia cards would do. I just want this computer for watching movies on my tv. For that, I use nvtv, to make the composite output work, but using mesa, the movies flicker awfully. I'm wondering if there is a way to reconfigure everything, as though mint was just installed on this computer, and if not, some advise on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HarzVieh

Re: Graphice Issues after install

Post by HarzVieh »

only I had to install on one computer (that allowed for a usb boot) and then move the hard drive
Adapters exist for connecting external devices like DVD drives to an USB.. I use one of them like for 10 years.. connecting hard drives outside the PC, very usefull.. cost like 10-20 Euros.. look in Internet computer shops in accessories for hard drives.. ocasionally I use it to install OS on laptops without DVD drive.
PatH57

Re: Graphice Issues after install

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

give us more details on the PC and why you could not install directly from usb on it?
open terminal and copy paste this in it.

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -U

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Return to “Installation & Boot”