Trying to dual-boot Vista and Mint, partitioning problem...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trying to dual-boot Vista and Mint, partitioning problem...

Postby realnotvirtual on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 pm

I have Vista installed on my 200GB partition (my only partition). I want to dual-boot it with Mint, so I'm trying to shrink it by 40GB. Diskeeper says that there's room to shrink, and Disk Management says there's room to shrink. But whenever I click "Shrink" it loads something for a minute then says Access Denied. I've tried every way I can think of to run Disk Management and DISKPART and access is always denied.

People have said I should use GParted, but I'll need my Windows install disk (I have it). Is GParted a safe way to do it?
realnotvirtual
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trying to dual-boot Vista and Mint, partitioning problem...

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi

Gparted is a very good program and is on your live cd Control Centre, System, Partition Editor. Make sure that you have defragged the hard drive before you start to shrink the partition for Vista. I have done this with XP but not Vista.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby realnotvirtual on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll try that. The Ubuntu Forums people also helped me out, and I think I know what I need to do.
realnotvirtual
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Trogdor on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:46 pm

If that doesn't help, boot to vista and click your start bar, right click on Computer, then click manage. Click Disk Management, and you can shrink you partition from within windows. Make sure to defrag first. This is how i did it for my computer, hope it works for you.
Trogdor
Trogdor
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot