uninstalling linux problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

uninstalling linux problems

Postby compgeek38 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi, I am having problems uninstalling linux mint, and i need some help. I want to use my external drive (with linux on it) as a backup device for vista. I have noticed that if I turn it off while booting, i get a GRUB error 17. I want to just go straight into vista, then be able to format the disk. If anyone has suggestions, please help.
compgeek38

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: uninstalling linux problems

Postby Fred on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:14 pm

compgeek38,

You don't need to uninstall anything. You just need to put Vista's boot pointer back into the MBR. Use you Vista restore disk and there is a routine on it to restore the Vista boot. I think it is called "fixmbr" in XP. Don't know if it is the same in Vista or not.

If you don't have a disk you can try fixing it with a live cd iso called SuperGrub. It will restore the XP pointer and I think the latest versions will work for Vista also.

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super ... sgd/cdrom/

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot