Dual Boot and Recovery Partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual Boot and Recovery Partition

Postby jonboy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of dual booting Vista and Mint, I used to dual boot with Ubuntu when I did I got rid of the PC Angel recovery partition on my laptop and put Ubuntu on there which I ended up regretting when I needed the recovery partition, but when my laptop went away for a graphics card replacement I got the recovery partition back. I don't want to lose it again so have got a few questions;

1. Can I clone/copy the recovery partition onto a dvd so I could use the partition for my Mint install?

2. Does the Vista boot loader control booting into the PC Angel recovery partition? I ask because I will be using Grub as the boot loader and don't want to lose access to the recovery partition if I can't make a copy of it.

Cheers

Jon
jonboy

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot and Recovery Partition

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:24 am

A recovery partition is rather small, a few GB I think and I would want to reserve at least 10 GB for Mint
Unless you have a really small hard disk I suggest you leave the recovery partition alone and make a new partition for Mint
I have no clue if you can get to use the recovery partition but in my HP 530 grub crated two alternatives for Vista and one was the "recovery thing"
The Mint/Ubuntu installer is really good at caring for whats already on the disk when you install
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot