error: you need to load the kernel first

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bikerman114

error: you need to load the kernel first

Post by bikerman114 »

I've tried installing Mint 17, amd 64 bit, 3 times now. I intend to dual boot with Crunchbang which I am running now.

I used dd to make a live USB and was able to use the GUI to install Mint by #!. When I went to reboot I had to use my boot-repair-disk to fix grub2. After that it gave me the choice of Mint or #! as I expected to get but when I chose Mint, either normal or recovery mode, it went to a black screen that said:

Code: Select all

error: file does not exist.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
When I pushed any button it took me back to choosing which boot option. I couldn't find anything helpful with google so I used gparted to just delete the partition Mint was on and re-installed it. Again I had to use boot-repair to fix grub2 and then I got the same screen.

The live USB worked fine but I had had bugs from UNetBootin so I tried remaking the live USB with dd again and installed. Again I had to use boot-repair and now I get:

Code: Select all

error: invalid extent.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
Any ideas how I could get it working? The live USB still works as it should. I have a horrible internet connection so I don't want to have to re-download the ISO and start over. However I'm about ready to try that. Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
konrad
Level 2
Level 2

Re: error: you need to load the kernel first

Post by konrad »

Please run the boot-repair BootInfo Summary scan and post the results link here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”