Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Need Help Installing

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Smokeyflave

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Need Help Installing

Post by Smokeyflave »

Im installing linux mint 17 cinnamon to my hp compaq5750 that runs windows xp. I downloaded the linux iso file on my other laptop and burned it onto a usb and then I plugged it into the hp and changed the boot options and it started up. I clicked install linux mint and then the language window pops up. I go through that and connect to the internet and say continue with the install but then I come to this screen with Installation type in the header and a box that says /dev/sda and device for boot loader installation overhead. There is nothing in the window to click on and when I try to move on and click install now it says no root file system is defined, please correct this from the partitioning menu. pls help me Im not sure what to do. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Need Help Installing

Post by austin.texas »

Yes, you do have to tell the installer where the / partition is.
When you say there is nothing to click on - that is not exactly correct. You can double-click on the partition where you want to install the Mint operating system (the / partition). You then get a pop-up window where you chose Format as: ext4 and Mount as: /
installScreenshot.png
If you want a separate /home partition (which is your personal choice - it is not mandatory) then you double-click on that partition and chose Format as: ext4 and Mount as: /home
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

I attached a screenshot of where I am stuck at. What do I do in this situation?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Well, it is hard to double-click on a partition, as I told you to do, when no partitions are visible.
The installer does not show any drive or partitions. It may be that your hard drive is not functioning.
Please post the result of the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -pou
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

Sorry it took so long to reply. Here is a screenshot of the result.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That screenshot shows an 80GB partition, sda1. If that shows there, it should show in the installer.
Try the gparted program on the live Mint DVD or USB, and see if it appears there.
Linux Linx 2018
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

Yeah it does with a fat32 file system but the installer skips over the part where they ask if I want to erase the disk and put mint on it, which is what I want to do.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

If it show on the Disk utility or in Gparted, you can erase and format the 80Gb drive before you click the installer.
Also, is this drive not mounted? Are there any other error on the installer?

What's the output from:

sudo parted -l
sudo fdisk -l
lsblk
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

This is the output of the command
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Ok so the 80GB drive is clearly in there. We need to see the output of

sudo parted -l
sudo fdisk -l
That is a small case letter L not number 1 not upper case i.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Smokeyflave wrote:Yeah it does with a fat32 file system but the installer skips over the part where they ask if I want to erase the disk and put mint on it, which is what I want to do.
As nerdtron said, you can use the gparted program to delete the partition before you install Mint.
Linux Linx 2018
konrad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by konrad »

I think we have been trying to solve this mystery in two separate yet the same topics. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p940130

Maybe admin could merge or delete one of them.
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

Yeah sorry bout that. I got the installation to work but it got stuck at the getting a time from a network time server, anyone know how to fix this.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Smokeyflave wrote:Yeah sorry bout that. I got the installation to work but it got stuck at the getting a time from a network time server, anyone know how to fix this.
You sure the machine is connected to the internet? Just wait for a bit, it sometimes takes a few minutes in there.
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

It is connected and I have been waiting for a while but I guess the best things in life take patience. I'll update u on the situation in a little while.
Smokeyflave

Post by Smokeyflave »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I solved the issue by installing Linux Mint 17 Debian edition. I guess the os just wasnt compatible with my system or something, but anyway thank you all.

Return to “Installation & Boot”