Migration to a new computer

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
utamav

Migration to a new computer

Post by utamav »

I am building a new PC. I currently have Mint running on an older PC, but the installation is only a few months old. I was wondering if moving the HDD over is good enough or would I have to do a fresh install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Migration to a new computer

Post by all41 »

I was wondering if moving the HDD over is good enough
Back up your stuff and give it a shot, but I would opt for a total wipe and reinstall.
That way if you were to encounter problems of some sort you will know the problem
is not inherited from your old installation. Less question marks!
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

for sure - try just moving the hdd over - it should 'just work'.
- don't try doing that with a M$ O/S :(

do backup your /home first - although there should be little or no issues
- video maybe ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

As long as you're not using any restricted drivers, the move should not have any problems. IF you are using such drivers, then uninstall them BEFORE you make the move.
utamav

Post by utamav »

Thank you everyone. I will try just moving it, since I do not have any unsupported drivers. Will the first boot take care of all the drivers for the new system? Do I need to be connected to the web for this?

Also, I plan to add another HDD to the system. So, my root and home with on the SSD that I am moving over as it is, while my media files I want to put on the HDD. What is the best way to do it? After the first boot, just mount the HDD under /media?
utamav

Post by utamav »

The migration was painless apart for some hardware issue.

Plugged in the HDD to the new PC, booted up, Mint knew everything. Wifi was working, Bluetooth, etc.. I'll keep an eye out for anything that is not working, but currently it seems perfect! Oh the boot time is changed to only 3 secs. Wohoo!

Return to “Installation & Boot”