Video problem on Toshiba 2180CDS solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Video problem on Toshiba 2180CDS solved

Postby tshd202002 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm trying to install Elyssa version from CD on a Toshiba 2180CDS. The CD boots up, live CD i guess its called, and tries to load up xserver.

It tells me its running in low graphics mode so continue, or for better res, manually configure the settings. No matter which I choose, when I try to startx, a screen comes up with unviewable video, then bounces back to the command line.

The error is
(EE) S3VIRGE(0): Internal error: invalid bpp (32) in S3VScreenInit

I tried to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, but video options never show up, just keyboard and mouse.

Any clues? Maybe a way to startx and pass in the video options manually? I can't even get the live CD working to install the full version to my hard drive.

Thanks.
tshd202002
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video problem on Toshiba 2180CDS

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:03 am

The error is
(EE) S3VIRGE

Absolutely :)
This is an old not very good graphics chip (unless it's being produced again, but I have not heard that)
It can be a bad CD - did you check the md5sum and burned as slow as possible?
Did you try compatibility mode? (Press any key during the count down right in the beginning)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rivenought on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:11 am

I saw a thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5517676, over at Ubuntu that mentioned something similar to your problem. I did a Google search on "(EE) S3 VIRGE" and found plenty of hits. You may wish to try that method and see if you can sort it out. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tshd202002 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 am

Husse-

I checked the MD5 and it was correct. I didn't burn it a the slowest speed though, in fact just did the default which put it at 48x or something. Have not tried compatibility mode, I will try that and burning at a slower speed.

rivenought-

I had already googled, and read through those hits. Either their solutions did not work, (sudo dpkg-reconfigure .....) or their issues was solved by manually editing the config files and saving them! Running from LiveCD doesn't allow you to save anything.

Thanks.
tshd202002
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tshd202002 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 am

I switched to compatibility mode, and I get a little further now. But it comes up with this error.

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
The last error message was:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I can't close the error box out and the CD just continues to spin and make noise hour after hour. Restarted about 6 or 7 times and get the same error every time.

Is there some options I can edit in the compatibilty or normal mode that might help?

Just to note, this laptop is a K6-2 475 MHz with 192MB of RAM, and it still has XP on it, 1 partition, whole disk. I had read that this error was seen in systems that had less than 512MB or RAM, and can't write to the swap space on the disk. I'm going to try to delete the partition, and see if it can create some swap space. If I can run XP on this crap, and not Linux Mint, why am I going through this exercise?
tshd202002
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:20 am

It's always good to tell what you know about hard- and software
196 MB is enough to run Fluxbox and possibly XFCE but not to install - and if there was a XP live CD it would have been way too little :)
The ting you can do is to use a really low resource distro like knoppix to create a swap partition. This will then be used by the Live CD and perhaps it will work
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tshd202002 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:03 pm

I was able to run Knoppix, and saw the option to create a swap partion, but since I had wiped the disk, it said it couldn't find any formatted space (?). Well then I figured I would just format some space for this purpose. I used Partition Magic 8.0. Much to my surprise, there is an option to create a linux swapspace. I formatted 512MB for the swap to the end of the disk, and left the remainder of the 4.2GB unformatted.

I put the Linux Mint CD back in, and it worked. Installing now to the "remaining unformatted space".

Thanks Husse...
tshd202002
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 am

Good - but you should have put the swap at the beginning of the disk so you get the fastest part for swap
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot