Issue w/ grub on MacBook Pro- can't install to /dev/sda5

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Issue w/ grub on MacBook Pro- can't install to /dev/sda5

Postby dillbilly on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm sure there's a simple explanation to this, and hopefully someone can enlighten me.

I'm attempting to run a triple boot configuration on a MacBook Pro using rEFIt. My current partition setup is as follows

/dev/sda1 - This is a FAT32 partition that OS X and or GPT uses so it has to stay
/dev/sda2 - OS X
/dev/sda3 - Windows XP
/dev/sda4 - FAT32 partition to be shared between the OSes. Since XP can't see more than 4 GPT partitions it has to be sda4
/dev/sda5 - Linux
/dev/sda6 - Swap

I get through the whole installation and when it gets to installing grub it says quits with a fatal error saying it couldn't install grub on /dev/sda5. Is this possibly a limitation within grub that won't let it install? If so, would installing grub on /dev/sda1 be a safe option? I could install it on the windows partition, but that defeats the purpose of using rEFIt as the boot loader.
dillbilly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Issue w/ grub on MacBook Pro- can't install to /dev/sda5

Postby dillbilly on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:28 pm

I should add that it installed fine onto /dev/sda4 before I decided to use that for a shared storage partition, which makes me think that it's an issue with being on a higher partition number. I'll try it once more with another small partition in between and see if it will cooperate on /dev/sda6
dillbilly
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot