Tried something unknown and now mate wont boot!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paavan2064

Tried something unknown and now mate wont boot!!

Post by paavan2064 »

Hi guys!
Relatively a noob to the Linux scene here.
There is this issue I had with the power management/screensaver on my laptop, that it spontaneously goes blank screen and doesn't turn back on until restart.
For this I decided to completely disable all kinds of power management as I am using it a "desktop" as I never shut it down these days. I searched for completely disabling the power management and I came across something and did all of it exactly as told there. And now I reboot and I am stopped at the login screen by this very irritating message: "No exec line in the session file:mate. Running the Gnome failsafe instead". When I click ok there I go to another box saying : "Could not find the Gnome installation, will try running the Failsafe xterm session". And another :"Cannot find xterm to start a failsafe session"

Please advice me on what to do.

Here's what I did for disabling power management :

You can disable those power management features at various level.

Graphical User Interface level

In GNOME, you should edit the following file:

sudoedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy

One section concerns the suspend function and the other the hibernate one. Each as a tag that you have to set to no:

<allow_active>no</allow_active>

Keyboard level

Now, to avoid the problem if the keyboard has some related keys for these features, you have to enter the following command:

gconftool -s /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/hibernate -t string interactive

Command line level

It would still be possible to trigger a suspend or hibernation from the command line, here is how to disable it.

We have to create an executable script in /etc/pm/sleep.d/ that will cancel any hibernate or suspend actions.

sudoedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/000cancel-hibernate-suspend

The content of this file should be:

#!/bin/sh
# prevents hibernation and suspend
. "$PM_FUNCTIONS"
case "${1}" in
suspend|hibernate)
inhibit
;;
resume|thaw)
exit 0
;;
esac

Now make that file executable:

chmod 0755 /etc/pm/sleep.d/000cancel-hibernate-suspend
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Tried something unknown and now mate wont boot!!

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!

Did you try rolling back the changes you made?
It is for example very easy to remove the script from /etc/pm/sleep.d and there might be something wrong with that.
And also the other stuff can be rolled back from your terminal ( Ctrl-Alt-F1 if you're in a stranded graphical screen ).

To rollback the gconftool-value and move the pm-procedure to your home-directory:

Code: Select all

gconftool -u /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/hibernate
sudo mv /etc/pm/sleep.d/000cancel-hibernate-suspend ~
Usually I choose to only disable the screensaver and everything related to that, including asking password after such events, but I let the screen blank from power management.
This way I never had a problem.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

Thank you, glad to to be a part of the forum.

I did something on my own and it worked...a bit!
What I did was apt-get purge mate then auto remove and again reinstalled mate again.

Now everything is back to "normal" again.
By normal I mean that the screen just goes off after sometimes and doesnt comeback again until restart. But the only difference it sometimes it goes off and sometimes it doesn't now.

Does it have anything to do with the fact the I boot from an external hdd?
I sometimes use my tv for the display through the vga port. These "sleeps" occur independent of whether I connect it to the tv or not.

Please give me a solution that makes my laptop wake up. Btw I disabled the screen blacking out and everthing but the laptop still goes out.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

It has probably got something to do with the graphics card or the chipset.
Can you post the output of the terminalcommand

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Then at least we know which hardware we are talking about.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

Here it is then :

System: Host: shine-VPCM126AG Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Sony product: VPCM126AG version: C6X06S02
Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: American Megatrends version: R0120Z4 date: 05/12/2010
CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N470 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3657.68
Clock Speeds: 1: 1834.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel IGD x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: JMicron JMC260 PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller
driver: jme ver: 1.0.8 ports: e100 e000 bus-ID: 02:00.5
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 82.0GB (60.5% used) 1: USB id: /dev/sda model: FA_GoFlex_Desk size: 82.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 74G used: 47G (67%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 177 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 680.7/2005.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

Did some searching with your hardware specs but I didn't find any reference to the problem.
I have a Sony laptop here myself and notice that support for its power management isn't good, the fan sometimes is very loud.
You might try installing a newer kernel, for example with the procedure you can find at http://www.upubuntu.com.

Or you might try installing Mint 17.1-rc Mate, the 64 bit version will probably also work on your hardware, not sure.
I am using Mint 17.1-rc Cinnamon and it feels very stable and good, though you can wait a short time for the stable version.
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

The fan on my mobo goes crazy too..just after I open a 5th or a 6th tab on firefox.
I guess sony is doing a crappy job on the new spiderman movies And laptops :lol:

I was thinking about installing 17.1 the other day. I am not too clear on the 64bit thing but will there be a considerable up in performancei if I install a 64bit? If yesI'll definetly go for it. It must be like a clean install right? Or is there like an upgrade thing I can do?
I tried the cinnamon desktop on this laptop and it lagged bit. I'm gonna stick with mate. Mate is not bad at all
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

Updated the kernel to 3.16 just now. Will put a large file on download and see how much of it finishes by tomorrow morning.
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

Nope nothing's changed :(

Going to install a fresh mint 17.1 and will see if the problem persists even then!
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

I think everything is ok as long as I dont connect it to my tv or any external monitor. Once I connect it through the vga port the thing becomes unresponsive. No problem until I keep using the pc for browsing or watching videos etc. Once I stop doing these active things and put a download and forget it for sometime then it becomes unresponsive. The solution I found is just remove the ext monitor when leaving it be for a while. I disconnected the monitor for 3 consecutive days and found that its working perfectly. Is this a bug thing or?
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

In another post I saw there is something like intel-microcode that can be installed from the software repository.
Wouldn't hurt to see if it helps :-)
paavan2064

Post by paavan2064 »

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not help!

I have to keep playing something..any video file(audio won't do), to keep the computer running! So I put a large laylist on the desktop with 20 movies and play it through out the day now!

Return to “Installation & Boot”