Operating system not found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gkri

Operating system not found

Post by Gkri »

I have linux mint, mate edition, recently upgraded to 17, among with windows 7, and I work only on mint for a couple years now.

Yesterday I forced shutdown my laptop because I was in a hurry, and today I found out that I cannot boot at any system, getting an error "Operating system not found".
On the boot menu there is nothing next to the HDD part, although I placed it on top of the list and tried again to boot the system.
Restarted a couple times, nothing changed.
Tried some tips found on youtube, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my hardware [I think the problem clearly showed up because of the force shutdown...].

Booted from liveCD, and on GParted I get the error "Libparted Bug Found! Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sr0.". When I click on 'ignore' I get this:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Screensh ... bwg15icapg

In terminal, I get these:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1
mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
mint@mint ~ $ sudo update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
Also, on the Disks menu I get this:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Screensh ... -CypMrYlCw

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Operating system not found

Post by karlchen »

This link leads me to this error message

Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home. 
Suggests to me I am not welcome to view the screenshot.
gives the same error message, no screenshot.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Gkri

Re: Operating system not found

Post by Gkri »

karlchen wrote:
This link leads me to this error message

Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home. 
Suggests to me I am not welcome to view the screenshot.
gives the same error message, no screenshot.

Indeed, since I took the screenshots from the liveCD session it's only natural that dropbox couldn't keep them for more than the time the session lasted.
Well the screenshots showed that the disk was not recognised by neither gparted nor the disks utility.

In the end I just got a new disk from a friend, put it on the laptop and fresh installed everything.
Thank you for your willingness to help though! :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”