Clean install with a /home partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Clean install with a /home partition

Postby bouncebounce on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:58 am

Hi, I'm looking for any advice or tips regarding installing Mint on my MacBook Pro.

The reason I ask is that my current set up (Ubuntu 8.10, no, I'm not happy with it) has /home on its own partition and, as this is the first time I've been smart enough to do that, I've never before set up any flavour of Linux under these circumstances.

So any gotchas, caveats, tips and/or tricks gratefully received.
bouncebounce
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Clean install with a /home partition

Postby CavalierBob on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:07 pm

I get very uncomfortable about all the dot files (.gnome, .config, etc.) when ever I reinstall/upgrade. Even though I keep a sepeate /home partition as well, I normally copy off all my data to a USB hard drive, reinstall the distro, reformatting my /home partition, then copy all my data back. Then I spend some time setting up my apps with all the settings I want. :lol:

Could be overkill, but allows me to clean out all the cruft and start with a clean system. Means you need to do some careful and considered backing up, but I find it worth while.

As always, YMMV.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot