Trying to install Mint 17.1 on laptop with AMD card

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austerus

Trying to install Mint 17.1 on laptop with AMD card

Post by austerus »

Hello,

I am trying to install Linux Mint 17.1 on a Del Latitude laptop that has a Radeon 8800 card and came with Ubuntu preinstalled.

The problem is definitely with the graphics card, however the post at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 didn't really help.

When I try to use Compatibility Mode, instead of the desktop of the liveUSB Mint that allows me to start installation, I get a (hold on) Ubuntu Unity desktop with user "mint" logged in, with nothing on the desktop. I've never seen anything like this before and I've been a Mint user for several years now.

Can anyone help? I really don't want to be stuck with Ubuntu.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Trying to install Mint 17.1 on laptop with AMD card

Post by kukamuumuka »

And your desktop in Mint was?
austerus

Re: Trying to install Mint 17.1 on laptop with AMD card

Post by austerus »

administrollaattori wrote:And your desktop in Mint was?
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. On my regualr laptop I have Mint with MATE, on the current laptop I'm trying to install Mint with Cinnamon using a liveUSB image. However, I'm unable to get to the Mint desktop.

When I boot from the liveUSB, the regular Mint option leads to a blank screen (issue with graphic card drivers) and the compatibility mode seems to load Ubuntu with the "mint" user (this user doesn't exist on the Ubuntu installation which I have now on the HDD and the Unity desktop seems to load on the liveUSB, HDD doesn't seem mounted).

Return to “Installation & Boot”