[SOLVED] Blank Screen When Booting LM 6 RC1 Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Blank Screen When Booting LM 6 RC1 Live CD

Postby adski1234 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm relatively new to Linux Mint (installed Linux Mint 5 a few months ago, but ended up getting a new laptop soon after). I just downloaded the new Linux Mint 6 RC1 ISO using the torrent. After burning the ISO and rebooting the CD is read and the machine begins booting off of it, I saw a brief flicker of text (looked like a copyright statement) and then the screen went blank. The screen is completely blank except for a small orange-ish dot in the top right corner (about 5 pixels). Hitting enter or generally attempting to "launch" the live cd without being able to see anything all failed.

I assume the live CD has loaded to the first screen where I assume you are prompted to select "boot from live cd" or "Install" and that for some reason the graphics don't display.

Here is what I have tried so far:
1. Burned the ISO (making sure actually burning the image itself, not just copying it to a CD) with Power2Go in vista and Brasero in Ubuntu 8.10.
2. Checked the md5 hash sum and it checks out perfectly.
3. Burned the ISO at slowest speed with both simulation and verification enabled.
4. Tried two different types of blank CD.
5. Re-downloaded the ISO and tried all of the above steps.
6. Confirmed that the boot sequence is set to boot off of CD first and that other BIOS settings look ok.

My Hardware:
Asus G50V-A1
Intel Core 2 Duo/Centrino 2
64bit with 4GB ram
Nvidia 9700GT
Dual 250GB SATA harddrives (not RAIDed and set to "compatible" [legacy IDE] mode in BIOS)

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10, Linux Mint 5, Ubuntu 8.04 (with the 2.6.27 kernel), Arch Linux and Slackware on this machine with no problems (Or, at least unrelated ones). I have also booted off several different live CDs (Knoppix, Gparted, etc.) for other purposes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going wrong? I assume it could be fixed by starting the live CD in safe graphics mode, but I can figure out how to do that without first seeing the initial screen.

Thanks to the Mint team for this awesome distro! I apologise if this post isn't in the right spot. I searched for a solution, but didn't find anything that didn't take as its starting point the ability to at least see the first screen.

Thanks!

*Edited title to make it clear it the topic is regarding Linux Mint 6 RC1*
Last edited by adski1234 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adski1234
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Blank Screen When Booting LM 6 RC1 Live CD

Postby adski1234 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Update:

I tried to boot up off of the old Linux Mint 5 CD that I used to install Linux Mint on this laptop a few months ago and it now has the exact same problem as above. The orange group of pixels even appears to be in the same spot. I wondered if maybe the system had a new problem with live CDs so I tested out the Ubuntu 8.10 live CD and a few others and they all still work fine.

I'm definitely confused as to what could be going wrong now! As far as I know nothing has changed on the system, especially at the low-level (BIOS settings, etc.).
adski1234
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Blank Screen When Booting LM 6 RC1 Live CD

Postby adski1234 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Just wanted to post an update and let anyone who might experience the same issue know how I got around it.

Basically, I gave up as nothing I could do with the live cd would make it work. However, I was messing around with making a bootable USB flash drive and that ended up working flawlessly. So, if there is anyone else out there trying to put Linux Mint on an Asus G50V, get UNETbootin and create a bootable USB flash drive and boot off of that.
adski1234
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot