Install linux on ASUS N551 JK-DM088H 15"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yoramdavid

Install linux on ASUS N551 JK-DM088H 15"

Post by yoramdavid »

Hi all,

I need to buy a new laptop as my old one passed away.
I am interested in W-ASUS N551 JK-DM088H 15"
I went to the shop with a bootable usb linux mint distro that I used on my old laptop.
With the assistant of the shop we tried to run the live usb. No success.
The partition where the windows 8.1 is installed is not visible under windows file managet.
We deactivated fast boot but did not find where to deactivate safe boot.
We managed to load the menu from the live usb, but after selcting "start Linux Mint", there was a bkack screen.

I need to be 100% sure I will be able to install linux on this machine before I buy it. In dual boot with windows 8.1 until guarantee runs over. Just in case.
Can I buy this laptop?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scotchandry

Re: Install linux on ASUS N551 JK-DM088H 15"

Post by scotchandry »

I only know there are four versions at least of Mint 17.1. Try another version XFCE and MATE seem to be least resource demanding. Having said that you would expect to be able to run on those specs with no issue
I just checked your post again you didn't say what distro I suspect was older mint that may not support the nvidia card in that new laptop....so there may be the issue.
Last edited by scotchandry on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoramdavid

Re: Install linux on ASUS N551 JK-DM088H 15"

Post by yoramdavid »

Thanks. It could be that the black screen is due to the nvidia driver.

Nobody has successefully installed linux an a laptop that comes with uefi, fast and secure boot?
I read a brazilian forum, and they could not do it...

Return to “Installation & Boot”