Installing KDE version to partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing KDE version to partition

Postby tlenz on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:21 am

I use BING to handle my partitions and multiple Windows boots. The instructions I have from BING for a Linux installation says to be sure and not let grub get installed to the MBR, but directly to the Linux partition.

So going through the Mint KDE install, I get to the part where I can click on the advanced button and get a dialog about installing the boot loader. There's what looks like an editable area for where the boot loader would go (I may have some of this terminology not exactly right, doing it from memory), but hd0 is in there and can't be changed. I'm want the boot loader in the third hard drive, second partition.

I unchecked the box for installing the boot loader, hoping maybe there is another way to install the boot loader. Is there? Or can I do what I'm trying to do with the normal Mint KDE install?
tlenz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing KDE version to partition

Postby Fred on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

tlenz,

From the installer you should be able to change the install destination of grub by pressing the advanced button and typing in (hd2,1) in your case. If it won't allow you to change it from hd0 I am at lose to tell you what the problem might be.

You can install without grub but you will then be dependent upon that other boot loader to boot from. I am not familiar with it so don't know its requirements or limitations. I don't know why you have chosen the other loader to use but grub is mature, stable, and usually more than adequate to deal with multi boot situations.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Installing KDE version to partition

Postby tlenz on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:51 am

Fred,

Thanks for the reply. Success! I went through the install again and this time it allowed me to enter the disk and partition info. The first time I didn't check the format box as the ext2 partition was formatted already, the second time I did. Maybe that's the difference. I'm getting good at this installation deal because every time I try to get both monitors working the system crashes so badly I have to re-install.

BootIt NG, BING, has been like a faithful friend for years. I'm using grub, it's just that it's in the ext2 partition, not the MBR. So I choose the operating system I want to boot to with BING, and if I choose Mint, execution passes to grub.
tlenz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot