What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Postby DaveG11 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 am

Searched with every search strategy I could come up with - but, cannot find an answer.

What is the minimum partition size for installing Mint 5?

As a newbie, I'll be installing via the Install button. Please, if I have to change something, and I cannot change it via a button in the installer, walk me through any additional steps to minimize installation, or point me to a tutorial or glossary...

Target drive: 36 gig SCSI
Will be dual-boot with Windows XP Pro.
Available free space is 14 gig (the used space is Windows and ancillaries)... HOWEVER, I need to set aside 5 gig out of that for updating/maintenance reasons -- SO... only 9 gig truly free.
System has 2 gig RAM, so swap (does Mint even need a swap file?) should be minimal.
DaveG11
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What is the minimum partition size for Mint install?

Postby SiKing on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 am

I'm running Mint5-GNOME. My root, not counting /home, is 4.1GB. On top of that I have a 2GB swap partition, but any home user today (especially one who dual-boots into Windows) should be able to get away with 1GB. You want to swap to a partition, swapping to a file is too much like work to set it up.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DaveG11 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks!

Is there an option button on the installer that allows me to set a partition for swap? I installed Mint on my Thinkpad, but I no longer remember the options offered to me... mostly because I was constrained to go with defaults (and therefore didn't pay much attention to alternate options) because I don't know enough to customize any element of the installation.
DaveG11
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SiKing on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:17 pm

If I recall (it has been a while), there is a button for "I don't know what I'm doing" (this will use your entire disk and make up whatever it feels it needs), there is a another for "I have Windows on there and I don't want it destroyed" (you need to have enough free space prepared and only that will be used), and then there is an option for "I'll do it myself" (self-explanatory?).
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot