No Operating System! Linux Trying To Boot From HDD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PunkJr

No Operating System! Linux Trying To Boot From HDD

Post by PunkJr »

Hi all

I have just installed Mint as my first foray into Linux. I am enjoying the experience so far, however I am going to be using the system mostly as a music server. My laptop has a solid state drive, and it is small. I store my music onto an external HDD, and I would like to keep my HDD plugged in at all times. The problem I am having is that when I boot my computer I get the text saying that the operating system is not installed. When I remove the HDD and boot, all is fine. Is there a workaround for this, as I do not want to unplug the HDD every time I boot the laptop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: No Operating System! Linux Trying To Boot From HDD

Post by wayne128 »

PunkJr wrote: The problem I am having is that when I boot my computer I get the text saying that the operating system is not installed. When I remove the HDD and boot, all is fine. Is there a workaround for this, as I do not want to unplug the HDD every time I boot the laptop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
This sounds like your external HDD was set as the first boot device.

You should boot computer, hit a boot entry key ( F2, F10, F12, esc, etc depending on computer bios), then set your internal SSD as the first boot device.

Good luck
PunkJr

Post by PunkJr »

Thank you Wayne for the quick reply. I had a look at the BIOS boot settings last night and could not detect any problems. I will look at this again - good to know that I may have been on the right track.

Tom
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I agree that it sounds like a boot order issue. Note that you want to edit the boot order in the bios and then save it, rather than the one-time boot option. I say that because with my Dell laptop, if I press F12 on startup, I get to a screen where I can choose the boot device just for that current session. If a USB stick is not plugged in then I don't see USB as an available option. To make a permanent change I have to press F2 on startup, edit the bios setting that gives the boot device order, then press F10 to save the settings.

Return to “Installation & Boot”