msi cr-600 blank screen install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harry Dresden

msi cr-600 blank screen install

Post by Harry Dresden »

I know I will be flamed for posting this but please believe me when I say that I have searched many posts. ok here goes.
Linux MInt 17.1 32bit cinnamon
my laptopC intel dual core 2.1
nvidia gforce 8200 m g
I made a live usb on my windows machine in order to try out mint. I like the look and speed I have heard about. Upon trying to use the live usb all I got was a blank screen when I tried to start into the default version. I then retried the "compatability mode" version and it was successful. I went ahead and did a full install no dual boot. Nine minutes later it said success and I was excited to restart into my new os. Firt time I booted it went to the little mint logo and then went blank and then shut down. I let it cool down and tried again half hour later. Then after starting my computer up it again went to the little mint logo, then to a blank screen, then finally it asked my to log in in very small text. I put in my user name and pass, and it said "welcome to Mint!" but really it was just gnu bash. So either my computer hangs up and does nothing, or it brings me to gnu bash. at no point does it bring me to a desktop.

If anyone can think of anything that will help I would lve to hear it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: msi cr-600 blank screen install

Post by austin.texas »

The Release Notes for Mint 17.1 - http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_cinnamon.php
Solving freezes with some NVIDIA GeForce GPUs
If you are unable to boot Linux Mint with an NVIDIA card, or if you are experiencing constant freezes and system lock ups, please append "nomodeset" to your boot arguments. At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line.
If you're still having issues, you can also remove "quiet splash --" from that same line.
Alternatively you can use the "nouveau.noaccel=1" boot argument.
Once the system is installed, use the Driver Manager to install the nvidia-304 driver.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Harry Dresden wrote:I will be flamed for posting this
No, not here.

Try the following:
Immediately after powering on your computer press and hold the shift key. This will show you the grub menu.
Press the key e and search for line starting with "linux" and ending with "$vt_handoff" (the line is wrapped).
Left to $vt_handoff insert nomodeset and make sure, that it is enclosed with a space on both sites.
Press F10.
You should most likely get into your desktop.
Open from the menu the driver manager (or open the system settings, the driver manager is at the bottom) and install the recommended driver.
After installing (this takes some time, so be patient) reboot normally.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Thank you cosmo. I followed the step by step, and it worked as you said it would. Mint is up and running.

Cheers

Return to “Installation & Boot”