Backup Restore not working [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Backup Restore not working [SOLVED]

Post by trope »

I just did a clean install of Rebecca from Nadia, before that I used the "Backup Tool" to backup my home directory. I am now trying to restore it to my home directory on Rebecca. The numerator of the restored files was way higher than the denominator was supposed to be so I stopped it after a while and it gives the error message:

.dropbox.cache/dropbox-upgrade-2.10.30--689... argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

None of my files are restored on the new linux.

Should I just try to find this file on the backup and delete it, then re-try the restore? Or would it be okay to just copy the home directory from the backup to my computer? Does Backup Tool do something different? I did not have it back up any software and installed all the software in Rebecca.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Backup Restore not working

Post by trope »

Can I just delete the whole .dropbox.cache directory? All cache directories in general can be deleted right?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you have made a backup of your home directory while using Linux Mint Nadia, it is inadvisable to restore this to Linux Mint Rebecca. Your backup will contain a host of hidden configuration files applicable to Nadia but most likely would play havoc with Rebecca.

If you can access these files you can delete almost all of the hidden files before moving the remainder to your new installation.

The hidden files you should save are .mozilla and .thunderbird - these will contain all your bookmarks, emails and address book.
If you have used gnu privacy guard then also save .gnupg.

Ideally, save your backup to a USB stick or some other storage medium so that if anything is missing you can find it again.

If you have installed software in Rebecca, the associated hidden configuration files would already be present in Rebecca.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

... cache directories in general can be deleted right ...
Yes.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by trope »

Thanks for the helpful info.

So if I delete the hidden files, do I then use the Backup Tool to restore the files, or should I just copy the files into the Rebecca home directory (which should preserve the hidden configuration files I have already created by installing programs in Rebecca)?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You can restore from the backup tool after removing the unnecessary hidden files. Do keep the ones I mentioned above.

No files will be automatically over-written and if there is a file with the same name, a screen will advise you and you can then make a choice to merge the file or over-write.

You also can copy and paste the files - whichever you consider "safer".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”