[HELP] Linux Mint 17.1 wont install (Black Screen)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Danex

[HELP] Linux Mint 17.1 wont install (Black Screen)

Post by Danex »

Hi, I've been trying to install Linux Mint 17.1 for 2 days now and it still not working. When I boot this is what I get https://imgur.com/JkWZD9V,I42h9tC#0 . Then if I chose Linux Mint I get a black screen.
I have tried many commands in the console

nomodeset
verdose debug nomodeset
no splash nomodeset
nvidia.modeset=0 and many more and I still get a black screen or grey screen.

Here's a couple of screen shots of what I see before the black/grey screens.

https://i.imgur.com/3zKevPA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v3xwKtK.jpg

My Spec :

i7-4770k
GTX 780
16g Ram
Gigabyte GA Z97X GAMING 5
Windows 8.1 Pro 64x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [HELP] Linux Mint 17.1 wont install (Black Screen)

Post by JOPETA »

Did you try booting in BIOS Legacy mode? I do not see you have tried "xforcevesa" or "compatibility mode" Did you? Which Mint desktop is it?
Last edited by JOPETA on Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danex

Post by Danex »

JOPETA wrote:Did you try booting in BIOS Legacy mode? I do no see you have tried "xforcevesa" or "compatibility mode" Did you? Which Mint desktop is it?
Yes I have tried compatibility mode and xforcevesa and I still get a black screen.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

And what about desktop (it seams to be Mate) and BIOS Legacy mode? I one of your intents (the one that finished in a terminal session) you would try something else to know what is wrong (reinstalling desktop, restart mdm services, or change graphics drivers...)
Any way, it looks like you Mint Live media is wrong. how did you created? and, more important, did you "integrity check" Mint media?
Danex

Post by Danex »

JOPETA wrote:And what about desktop (it seams to be Mate) and BIOS Legacy mode? I one of your intents (the one that finished in a terminal session) you would try something else to know what is wrong (reinstalling desktop, restart mdm services, or change graphics drivers...)
Any way, it looks like you Mint Live media is wrong. how did you created? and, more important, did you "integrity check" Mint media?
Yes I boot in Legacy mode. When I try to do an Integrity check I get a Grey screen. I have burned the Mint iso to a cd/dvd.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

If trying Dual Boot with W8.1 it is worth your create a USB live from inside Windows (Rufus is a good option) and follow this, but need to check your ISO file and download a new one if any.
Danex

Post by Danex »

JOPETA wrote:If trying Dual Boot with W8.1 it is worth your create a USB live from inside Windows (Rufus is a good option) and follow this, but need to check your ISO file and download a new one if any.
Alright I'll try that.

Edit : Still isn't working... :( I have followed the tutorial step by step.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Did you download a new ISO from Mint and create a new USB Live with Rufus (UEFI partitioning) in this short time?
Danex

Post by Danex »

JOPETA wrote:Did you download a new ISO from Mint and create a new USB Live with Rufus (UEFI partitioning) in this short time?
No I didn't now download a new ISO from mint... I used the one that I had already downloaded 2days ago... I will download a new one right now and try again.
Danex

Post by Danex »

Danex wrote:
JOPETA wrote:Did you download a new ISO from Mint and create a new USB Live with Rufus (UEFI partitioning) in this short time?
No I didn't now download a new ISO from mint... I used the one that I had already downloaded 2days ago... I will download a new one right now and try again.
It's still not working... Black screen every time....

I'm actually losing all hope... I have tried many things and I still get black screens...
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

First there is no black screens in the images you've linked. The second image shows that booting process has not been completed (maybe hung). The first one shows that Mint has finished boot process, maybe is not able to start the graphic session but is the shell as I told before.

Be patient on trying to boot (Mint seam to have problem with your hardware) and wait until the background process stop with an advertising message or hung (no process working in background during 5 minutes).

Please describe the "black screens" you have now and confirm your EUFI/BIOS setting (UEFI enabled, Secure Boot and Fast Boot Disable) and there is an UEFI option to your pendrive or USB disk (other than Windows) to boot.

In other hand there is a option to install even in such difficult machines if are able to boot Mint Live in Legacy.

PD: As it seems to be related with graphics (or other hardware), did you remove "quite splash" when changing GRUB comment (nomdeset, xforcevesa, noapci..)?

Return to “Installation & Boot”