[solved] 17 Quiana/KDE hibernate works, suspend does not

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bill_KY

[solved] 17 Quiana/KDE hibernate works, suspend does not

Post by Bill_KY »

I am here with a new installation of Mint 17 Quiana/KDE.

Inxi describes it this way:
System: Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8H67-M PRO version: Rev 1.xx serial: MF70B4G06001430
Bios: American Megatrends version: 0902 date: 03/04/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2105 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 3100.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 126x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: bc:ae:c5:70:71:fa
Drives: HDD Total Size: 590.1GB (0.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: OCZ size: 90.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 15G used: 4.6G (33%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 18G used: 207M (2%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 17.49GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present

The system has been fully updated so that the kernel and all drivers are current. Note there are two drives on the system. Mint is installed on my conventional HD (sdb), rather than my SSD (sda). GRUB2 is installed on sda so that I can dual-boot Windows. I have a good deal of experience multi-booting Linux systems but it has been a long time since I have dual-booted with Windows. It seems to work well enough.

I have one glitch and it is odd: the system hibernates and resumes with no problem at all. That is very nice.

Not so nice is the fact that suspend-to-RAM is not happy. it will suspend just as it should. On resume it brings up the desktop properly, but neither the keyboard nor the mouse work. In effect I have no input devices. A soft-reset will not work to restart the system. The only thing that works is a hard reset, which is to say power all the way down, and then restart the system. Naturally whatever was held in RAM is gone.

I have seen some similar posts on this forum but nothing quite like this. If I have missed something please direct me to it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 17 Quiana/KDE hibernate works, suspend does not

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Bill_KY - Have a look at this thread from askubuntu.com: http://askubuntu.com/questions/483416/k ... er-suspend

If you find "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all" doesn't work, then try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all".
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

Thank you! Busy day today but I will track these as soon as I can and report back.
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

I can report that the suggested solutions have not worked, though I do thank Derek_S for passing them along. So I will continue to search and experiment. Should I find a solution I will report it.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Bill_KY - I came across two other threads dealing with this issue. Hopefully they offer a solution for you.

One is on the Ubuntu forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1321032
The other is here on the Linux Mint forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=152185

PLEASE NOTE: These solutions only apply to you if you have an Intel i8042 controller as a part of the chipset on your system. Just to double-check and verify this on my own system, I opened my Filesystem folder (/root) and followed this path: / > sys > bus > platform > drivers, and when I opened the drivers folder, I found another folder named "i8042". If you find this is also the case on your system, then proceed.

Open the Terminal and enter " sudo gedit /etc/default/grub ". Then make the following changes to the file:

Change this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To this: GRUB_CMDLINE_DEFAULT="atkbd.reset i8042.nomux quiet splash"

After making this change, be sure to go up and click "File" and "Save" to save your changes, then click "File" and "Quit" to close the folder. Then try testing your system. Please post back if this solution does not apply to you or does not work for you.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

No success, I am afraid. I tried both of those posts and I thank you, Derek_S for putting me on to them.

I do have the i8042 controller so I was hopeful.

I have an idea I should have had sooner. I have a laptop from System-76 running several distros, each of which suspends and resumes as it should. Two of those are Mint Quiana and siduction 14.1/KDE. They work with boring regularity.

Briliant idea: Let's run inxi on both and compare profiles! (Where have I been ????)

What I know is that I have tried at least 4 linux systems on this box that do not suspend/resume as they should. That includes Debian 8 and two others based on Debian or Debian/Ubuntu. The fourth is Slackware, which works perfectly well on the laptop.

So I will do my further investigation and report back.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Bill_KY - I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping that would be the fix.

One thing you have to consider is this: Suspend/Resume does not just involve the operating system itself, it also involves ACPI, which means the machine's BIOS is also involved. If you're having this issue with just this one machine and none of your other machines, it might be worthwhile to see if there's a more current BIOS version available for this particular machine. If there is, check the release notes to see if "updated ACPI" or "fixed ACPI issues" is listed as part of the notes. That might go a long way toward fixing the problem.
Bill_KY

Re: [solved] 17 Quiana/KDE hibernate works, suspend does not

Post by Bill_KY »

You nailed it, Derek_S, our problem was an outdated BIOS. The MB in question is an Asus P8H67-M PRO which carried an American MegaTrends BIOS 0902 dating from March 2011.

It has always been my habit not to fool with the BIOS other than for some very pressing reason. In fact I think I last updated a BIOS (on a Gigabyte board) approximately 10 years ago, perhaps longer. If they appear to work I leave them alone. In this case I did not recognize the BIOS as the source of my problem.

What I would say to readers is this: Follow the suggestions Derek_S made above. Do that first. Only then do the BIOS upgrade if those ideas do not work. If you are using a laptop go to a hard-wire Ethernet connection if you can and use line power rather than battery. Any interruption during a BIOS upgrade is not a good thing, so minimize the possibility.

If my Asus board is any indication modern boards are now coming with built-in utilities that make this process quite simple really. Just be careful to follow along.

The reward, at least in my case, is a system that will both hibernate and suspend just as it should. If you are dual-booting with Windows (Win7 in my case) you may notice that your Windows boot process is also a bit quicker and smoother.

And do not forget to tip your cap to Derek_S, without whom I would still be trying to figure this out!

Return to “Installation & Boot”