Restore Windows MBR?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VanZan

Restore Windows MBR?

Post by VanZan »

I removed the optical drive of a laptop at work and put a SSD with Mint in there. I removed that this week but when I restart Windows does not boot and I get a Grub Rescue command prompt.

I think I need to repair the MBR for Windows to boot. Can anyone suggest how to do this please? I really want to use a USB to repair it.....I do have Mint and Windows 10 installed on different USB drives. I booted in W10 with one of the usb drives but I could not run the "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" command...

Really getting fed up of this now....please help before the boss finds out!! I've also tried installed W7's iso to a usb but just can't get it to work with Linux apps such as unetbootin etc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Restore Windows MBR?

Post by Pjotr »

The cause of the problem is, that Grub can't find the boot loader *menu* anymore, which is on the SSD that you've removed. This is one of the reasons why I always advise to install all operating systems on the same physical hard drive....

You can restore the Windows bootloader like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... dows-only-
(item 7 and further, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Restore Windows MBR?

Post by tenfoot »

If you aren't happy with using the command line, download Rescatux from http://sourceforge.net/projects/rescatux/files/. It has the facility to repair and write Windows Grub files. Has saved me problems on several occasions.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Installation & Boot”