Need help with Linux Mint 17 and UEFI/EFI with Lenovo G50

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mathewvghese

Need help with Linux Mint 17 and UEFI/EFI with Lenovo G50

Post by mathewvghese »

Hi,

I tried to install Linux Mint 17 as dual boot with pre installed Windows 8.1 in Lenovo G50 AMD A8 laptop.

This is what I did :

1. Created a live USB using YUMI (Not sure if it is EFI supported or not)
2. Created a partition and made it unallocated in Windows disk management.
3. Tried to boot from USB, but it was not getting detected.
4. So, I went to boot menu, SecureBoot was disabled by default. Changed the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy.
5. Booted successfully from USB and Mint got running in Live mode.
- WIFI was not working. Tried many commands from google (rfkill) , but no luck with live mode. so went ahead with installing and then try fixing.
6. Linux got installed successfully using the "install alongside windows 8" option.
7. Rebooted the system. Linux mint grub loader showed up successfully. Chose Linux and booted successfully.
8. Restarted again and chose Windows :
** Issue ** Got error to insert the boot disc :-(. Windows did not work !!!

9. Went to boot menu, changed boot mode back to UEFI.
10. Restarted and the grub loader did not show up. Windows booted successfully.

I had previously installed Ubuntu 14.04 in a Toshiba laptop and followed the instructions in a tutorial. The final part had some commands to fix the grub loader.

I searched the forum and could not find anything specific to my problem !! I still have the below doubts :
Is there anything I need to do to fix the grub loader ?
Does Mint 17 not support EFI ?
What should I keep the boot mode as ? UEFI or Legacy to boot both Linux and Windows ?
Will I be able to fix the WiFI issue ?

Thanks in advance for viewing and helping.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Need help with Linux Mint 17 and UEFI/EFI with Lenovo G5

Post by JOPETA »

mathewvghese wrote:1. Created a live USB using YUMI (Not sure if it is EFI supported or not)
No, it is not supported as per pendrivelinux web. You will need to use another USB live creator maybe Unetbootin, Universal USB, Lili, but sure Rufus works for me in Windows.
mathewvghese wrote:Is there anything I need to do to fix the grub loader ?
Does Mint 17 not support EFI ?
Yes, of course. Mint 17 support EFI, but now you have installed it in Legacy. You will need to create a Boot Repair USB and then boot this in UEFI mode with Secure Boot disable. Look here. Also REefind flash would help but I've never try REefind when Mint is in Legacy and Windows in UEFI.
mathewvghese wrote:What should I keep the boot mode as ? UEFI or Legacy to boot both Linux and Windows ?
Windows is installed in UEFI so ...
mathewvghese wrote:Will I be able to fix the WiFI issue ?
Maybe, but first you need to repair boot and a working Internet connection is needed.
mathewvghese

Post by mathewvghese »

Thank you very much for the reply.

Since, we are so used to wifi these days, I totally forgot about the wired connection. Thanks for reminding about it.
The wired connectivity worked like a charm. That helped a lot.

As I mentioned I had installed the Ubuntu version in a Toshiba laptop along side windows 8.1 last year. I remember installing boot repair and the boot/grub was fixed and I had no issues.
It's been a year and I totally forgot about the bootrepair. Thanks for reminding.

But, Boot Repair did not fix the issue this time. It gave a error message asking me to boot Linux in EFI and then run the boot repair. If i change the Boot mode to UEFI, the Linux was not booting. So, it did not work !!

Thanks for suggesting Rufus, created live USB of Linux 17 again and booted with UEFI boot mode. Worked fine and Linux booted in live mode from USB.
I tried to install boot repair and fix the grub/ EFI issue. But still no luck, it did not work. Gave errors that grub cannot be fixed.

Finally I had to try installing again Linux from USB. This time the first option was showing as " Install along with Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca" instead of Windows 8.
I chose the "Something else" option and chose the already installed "ext4" partition as root and continued with install. Got many warnings like partition will be formatted.
It was worth taking the risk. Everything got installed and rebooted the system. Hurray !!! the grub appeared, first booted to Linux, worked fine. Restarted and booted to Windows : worked fine.

Lessons Learnt :

1. Don't use YUMI/ pendrive linux to install along with EFI Windows 8. Use Rufus !

Now the issue is that Wifi is still not working. Saw youtube videos "What to do after installing linux Mint 17". In that they had asked to update kernal in Update manager.
So, I updated the kernal to the latest version of the current version to 3.13.052.

But still the wifi did not work. The wifi is not even showing up in the network menu !!

Please help in resolving the wifi issues. I have been googling to find any fix. But, no easy fixes are available.. Thanks again !
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Happy to hear this. :)
Boot Info report would help us trying to dual boot w/o reinstalling, but I think you have chosen the best option (reinstalling).
About wifi problem, it's a hardware matter and you would find specific solutions in that forum. First, search in that section with your wifi card and computer. Open a terminal, copy and paste following codes to know your hardware.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxn
Look for special functions in your UEFI/BIOS setting to control your wifi (enable Wireless LAN or PCI and disable wake-on LAN events if any). Sometimes Linux has problem on identifying hardware locks state, so try pressing wifi/Internet special function keys or direct access buttons in panel. Maybe it's a firmware problem (try sudo apt-get install linux-firmware), need to install private drivers.

In any case post back the output of above codes using this format and/or open a new topic in Hardware section if still need help.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

JOPETA wrote:Also REefind flash would help but I've never try REefind when Mint is in Legacy and Windows in UEFI.
The installation mode (BIOS/CSM/legacy vs. EFI/UEFI) is irrelevant to a USB-based (or CD-based) rEFInd; once rEFInd has started, it should be able to detect and boot a kernel. Once the Linux OS has booted, it will be in EFI mode, even if the installation was in BIOS mode. It should then be possible to install the EFI version of GRUB or install rEFInd to the hard disk. Used in this way, rEFInd works something like Super GRUB 2 Disk.

Of course, I realize the OP has solved the problem in another way; I present the above simply to answer one unanswered question in this thread.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Hi Roderick! Glad to hear you again and saying this so clearly. I will take it into account in future. Thanks. :wink:
mathewvghese

Post by mathewvghese »

Thanks Jopeta. Im still having the wifi issue. Apart from that, when I login I get the below pop up message :

"
Running in Software Rendering Mode

Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result,
you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue.
For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this
mode for troubleshooting purposes."
Any idea? Is any video card drivers missing ?

Back to the Wifi issue:

To fix the WIFI issue, I tried the following after googling :
1: Did the system update using Update Manager
2: Updated the kernal to the latest of the current version: 3.13.0.52
3. In Driver Manager - No proprietary drivers were available ! All were upto date.
4. Tried the rfkill commands.
5. My Network card is "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411". I tried to download the driver and installed it from the below link:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/dow ... wn=false#2

Restarted the system after doing all the above, but still no luck, the WIFI itself is not showing under Connectivity.. Only Wired is Shown.

lspci -nnk | grep -i net -A2

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0041] (rev 20)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3545]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3812]
Kernel driver in use: r8168

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: subin-Lenovo-G50-45 Kernel: 3.13.0-52-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 80E3 version: Lenovo G50-45
Mobo: LENOVO model: Lancer 5B2 version: 31900058 WIN Bios: LENOVO version: A2CN27WW(V1.09) date: 12/12/2014
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15969.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2000.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon) FAILED: fbdev Resolution: 1366x768@76.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 9840 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-52-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168 ver: 8.040.00-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0041 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Card-3: Atheros usb-ID: 0cf3:e300
IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 286G used: 5.7G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 158 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 619.9/3409.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

I tried to search the forrum for my network card "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411" and tried the available solutions. But nothing worked.
As suggested I will open a new Thread under the hardware section. Please try to help if possible with the above info.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

mathewvghese wrote:I tried to search the forum for my network card "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411" and tried the available solutions. But nothing worked.
Your wifi card, as you can see in hardware report, is Qualcomm Atheros not RealTech (RTL is your wired Ethernet card and no private driver is needed because it was working as you told)- Do you have another Atheros USB wifi card plugged?. Qualcomm Atheros wifi is not working but driver seems to be charged in any case has a rare signature for me (there is no ARXXX or QCAxxx only Device 0041). If ath9k you would try to open a terminal and type modprobe ath9k As you have Windows check in device manger and try to find wifi card signature and driver to confirm it is a new ath10k.

In other hand you have an hybrid card AMD Raedon R5 integrated and AMD ATI Mullins Radeon APU A4-6000 dedicated but the driver used is Linux Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe, so open driver manager and try installing AMD fglrx driver or fglrx-update and reboot when finished (it takes >10 minutes to install). If it doesn't work better, open a new topic in Graphic card forum with results (you will need to try latest driver from Ubuntu Xorg ppa or AMD private driver

Also look for updated BIOS here and install if need it. And If all you try fail update kernel to the latest 3.16 that may solve the problem with wifi card identification.
Last edited by JOPETA on Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
mathewvghese

Post by mathewvghese »

Thanks again JOPETA for replying. Appreciate the help very much.

To fix the Rendering software mode:

I tried to install the fglrx-updates from the Driver Manager. I think the kernal 3.13.0-52 did not support it and Linux crashed after rebooting.
So I had to reinstall Linux 17.1 again.
After that I installed again fglrx-updates from Driver Manager with the default kernal 3.13.0-37. Restarted the system, and the rendering software mode issue got fixed.

WIFI issue :

Sorry for providing the wrong information. I misunderstood Realtek as the wifi card.

I had executed the modprobe ath9k, but nothing happened. How to confirm if its a ath10k ? I have provided the screenshots of the Windows driver details below.
Please help me to confirm it. Thanks again.
Driverswifi1.JPG
Drivers1wifi.JPG
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Glad to hear you have solve problems with graphics. :D

Nextime you don't need to reinstall if something goes wrong when changing drivers or kernel. In grub menu edit first(default) option and change kernel (typing "nomodeset, "xforcevesa",..deleting "quiet splash") or try a recovery mode (second in GRUB menu) options (update-grub, dkpg, failsafe graphic session..).

wifi seems to be a problem with difficult solution (haven't found anything but bugs or unsolved cases because it is new chip to be included in kernel 3.20 ath10k. Even trying to extract firmware from Windows driver fails. In any case. I'm not an expert and the subject of this post wont let you get help in this matter. So copy and paste following codes and open a new thread (somenthing like "Qualcomm Atheros Device 0041 Problem" in WIFI section posting results in code format as they recommended. Also provide results of the other codes.

sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py
Good luck! :wink:
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

JOPETA wrote:wifi seems to be a problem with difficult solution (haven't found anything but bugs or unsolved cases because it is new chip to be included in kernel 3.20 ath10k.
It's a radical solution, but sometimes replacing a Wi-Fi card can work around such problems. Here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgra ... i-fi-card/

You can find them on eBay for $12-$25 or so; just be sure to get one with Linux drivers and that will fit your laptop. (Opening it to check what it's got now, or asking on a forum for your specific manufacturer, can help you avoid buying something that will turn out to be useless.)
mathewvghese

Post by mathewvghese »

Thanks JOPETA for the information. Will definitely try to edit the grub instead of reinstalling.
I tried the recovery mode, even that was not working. So, I had no other option than to reinstall.

As suggested earlier, I had already opened a thread in the hardware support forum. Not under the Wireless section.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=196363

Got reply, that it is a new device and asked me to report a bug in the ubuntu forums. I have done the same. Waiting for any updates.

This is a brand new computer under manufacturer warranty. I don't want to mess up with changing the network card.
Will continue to use Linux with wired connection. or live with Windows.. :cry:
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

I have seen your post and Jeremy's answer seems to confirm what I feared. In the srs5694' s line a solution would be buy a WIFI USB card, same price without replacing anything that affects the warranty. I would give you one I don't use for free, so second-hand is an option. :D
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Lenovo's are known to have a whitelist and will not boot with an unauthorized wifi card. It might be best to contact them and see if an Intel or Realtek card is available for your model
mathewvghese

Post by mathewvghese »

ooOoo Update ooOoo

- I reported the bug in Ubuntu forrum.
- They asked me to uninstall Mint and gave me a link to a Ubuntu iso. Ubuntu 15 - Vivid version.
- So, I installed that. It did not fix the issue. Also asked me to install the latest available kernels. I tried that too.
- I was not able install plugins and new softwares. Also the Update Manager was also not working. It was difficult to work on.

Finally I decided to buy the below wifi adapter for $10 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un- ... i+adapteru

Now I reinstalled Mint 17.1 - Rebecca back. The wifi adapter worked like a charm. No driver was required.
But it is getting automatically disconnected after some time. Then I have to disconnect and connect it again to make it work. Is there any solution for this ?
Is there any issue with wifi in Mint 17.1 ? Please advice.

Also the performance of the Mint is very slow, even though I have given a swap area of 3.5 gb. The video streaming is not smooth.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Look at this posting http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108

and post your wireless-info.txt

If you had chili555 helping you on the Ubuntu forum, I may not be able to find what is wrong....chili555 is one of the best...but I will try anyhow
hd66
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Need help with Linux Mint 17 and UEFI/EFI with Lenovo G50

Post by hd66 »

hey !
sorry for the "long time of reposting that answer", on my own I consider
it could be helpful, even few years after ;)
had that problem too :
win8 installed by default, EFI mode, with GPT. Dont want to wipe all out.
Had several new partitions for nux/bsd. So I booted on my beloved LMDE5 liveusb.
I did about ten installs without understanding, why would that not work?
each time when installation started very well, it finishes on a grub-installation
failure, everytime.
Even by trying changing different settings.
Even using the grub-repair utility -whom, like gparted, is only on lmde5live, not lmde5 default install!-
so I finally went up to boot back on my beloved LMDE5 liveusb, and took a precaution regarding it :
before starting again and again the installation process, I just launched gparted
created a new EFI fat32-somthing type of partition (could be seen in fdisk /dev/sda)
in addition of the EFI-partitions made by default windows installation.
Means after getting at the end of the disk my several partitions (50GB /, home, +efi)
I attempted to install back LMDE5 with standard installer ; saying "no, dont use /dev/sda1
nor /dev/sda2 windows partitions to put your grub files/efi system, but only on /dev/sda8 new fat32 efi partition!"
[I already have exactly flex20405 laptop, whom grub is well on the "windows efi standard partition", like
all my others win8-10/lmde5/obsd laptops, working well since the beginning]
so after I did a such experience, told LMDE5 installer to use not only /, /home and swap partitions to use,
but also a efi-specific partition added only for it -about 500MB-, it worked immediately.
Dont know why the G50 laptop have this thing, but now, hope it would help some linuxians hears :)

on my own, I have triboot of win/LMDE5/obsd, like on my previous laptop

Return to “Installation & Boot”