Cant even start LiveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cant even start LiveCD

Postby artchy on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello! I have decided to try out LinuxMint!
I downloaded .iso then I wrote it to CD. When I restarted my PC after a while it says ''Can't boot from this CD''. I found this and it says that in the iso there needs to be only two folders (casper and isolinux) and md5sum.txt, but I have another folder called ''.disk'' and another file called ''.disc_id''. Why?
When I delete that file and folder and write the .iso in the CD it says that can't find something called ''linux'' :D. I decided to rename the file ''isolinux.bin'' located in isolinux to ''linux.bin''. Now, when I reboot my PC, it says that I need CD2 or a Bios Update..

Please help me! I am very confused because downloaded iso's dont have only two folders and one file and i feel like doing something wrong when renaming that file :P

Oh...I'm sorry for my bad grammar ;)
artchy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Sorensei on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:08 pm

Hello and welcome!

The file you need to burn is the .iso file (LinuxMint-2.2.iso). The md5sum.txt is the way to check the integrity of the file you've downloaded. If your file md5sum is the same as the one in the text file, you've got a winner. If not, it's probably corrupted.

If I got it right, you've just copied the files to a CD, that's it?

You have to burn the disc as an .iso file (a disc image) if you want it to be bootable.

Here's a link given to another thread that may help:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=nero+iso&t=1069

Another thing, burn it at slow speed, 2x or 4x, it limits the risk of a corrupt disk. If your program allows it, check the md5sum of the disk afterwards, it should still match.

Good luck! :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby artchy on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Yes, I burnt the image right. After I could't boot from that cd, I opened ISO with image editing programm and edited neccesarry files :) I also use 4x burning speed, but it won't help. Could it be that the problem is tha ir write in CD-RW?

Edit: I'm using windows xp so i downloaded MD5summer and it says that all is ok.
artchy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bob on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:41 pm

From what you say, you're not burning the ISO correctly. Do not rename anything or modify anything. It is correct and complete as you've downloaded it. However, you have to burn it as an IMAGE, not a data file or anything else. Here's a link to some specifics for whatever burning tool you now have and how to do it properly: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Also, here's a free burning program that will do the job for you. Install it and click on the ISO button and follow the instructions>
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby artchy on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:57 pm

Thankyou for your help. I know that I'm burning the ISO correctly. I don't modify or rename anything, I just burn the ISO. I have only tried to rename the files after that failure when I couldn't boot from CD.
OK, I wont do anything with that .iso :oops: . I burned the image with Nero, but it showed me a write error. Then I tried to burn that image with UltarISO and also error. I will try to burn the image with CDBurnerXP, I hope it'll work and finaly I'll get my LinuxMint.
artchy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby artchy on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:36 am

Thankyou all for the help! Now I have got the best Linux ever - Linux Mint
artchy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sorensei on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:00 am

That's great! Enjoy! :D :D :D
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot