Install from the Harddrive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install from the Harddrive

Postby Danceman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Hello everyone its my first time here. I love Linux Mint.

I have a old Toshiba Protege 3410ct which doesn't have anyway to boot from, no cdrom, no bootable usb, no floppy drive, just my harddrive. I do have a harddrive atapter so I can but things on the drive. So what I ask and haven't found a way, is to put the Mint cd on the harddrive so when i turn on the computer it will run does install files and start installing, almost like does new OEM computers that at first turn on, starts installing Windows. Is there a way to do this with Linux Mint?

It has 192 MB of ram, 6 GB of harddrive. I had Windows XP for years on it. But when i tried to install Xubuntu, I didn't use the alternative cd and ruined the installation and lost the bootable Windows capabilities. Which Linux Mint should I use, the Fluxbox one or XFCE one?

Thanks in advance
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install from the Harddrive

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:41 pm

HI

Have a look at this link it may help, alternatively do a search in the Ubuntu forums.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3496&p=22675&hilit=run+live+iso+from+harddrive#p22675

With only 192mb ram I think you will not be able to load Mint 5 or 6 both of which need 512mb on initial load. Will run on much less after installation. Also 6gb hard drive will be very tight.

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Danceman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:HI

Have a look at this link it may help, alternatively do a search in the Ubuntu forums.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3496&p=22675&hilit=run+live+iso+from+harddrive#p22675

With only 192mb ram I think you will not be able to load Mint 5 or 6 both of which need 512mb on initial load. Will run on much less after installation. Also 6gb hard drive will be very tight.

Good Luck

Thx, i was look at this: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html

I think its something similar.

On my mac book Mint 5 is on a 4gb virtual disk. Its going to be more a netbook for my father to surf the web. The prob will be the 192 mb. I think I can do it with Xubuntu alternative installation, does Linux Mint have a text base installation?
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hoe on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:08 pm

How could you lose the ability to boot up a bootable CD? That is controlled by the BIOS not XP or Xubuntu. Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Danceman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:20 pm

hoe wrote:How could you lose the ability to boot up a bootable CD? That is controlled by the BIOS not XP or Xubuntu. Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

Wayne

This computer doesn't have a cdrom. If I want to use a cd rom it has to be with a USB one and the bios is old and it doesn't boot from a usb (if i understand this old bios anyway)
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Danceman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 pm

I was reading this page: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html

It assumes you have Windows installed to boot, is the a way with Linux to make a harddrive bootable?
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hoe on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:29 pm

With laptops as cheap as they are these days l think if l were you l'd turf that thing ... l like a challenge too but there is a line there somewhere?

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Danceman on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok but I did have Windows Xp on it for many years with a Blackbox variate, bbclean. I lost it because I tried to install Xubuntu but not the alternative one (text base install) and it froze up and ruined my partition.

If I can't put Linux than Windows it will be. But I'm still stuck at one point and I thought it would be easier to do with Linux, which was make the harddisk bootable. I haven't had success with windows either because I can only create bootable, cd, floppy and usb. I did put a Windows XP image from a virtual XP and it booted but after a bit it stopped because it most of detected another computer and driver didn't work.

I'm a Linux novice user but I have found that Linux uses Grub to boot up. How can I make a hard disk boot with grub? Maybe I just have to find a app (windows or linux) that formats and makes bootable hard disks? Any ideas?
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Perhaps this might be a solution to your problem.

http://polishlinux.org/installation/ins ... -cd-drive/
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot