Downgraded Vista to XP with Dual Boot Vista/Mint GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Downgraded Vista to XP with Dual Boot Vista/Mint GRUB

Postby NeXEA on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:40 am

Not sure if this makes too much sense but here it goes.

I had the Dual Boot Vista/Mint with the boot loader. The three Mint options and the Two Vista options(normal, safe mode).

I got rid of Vista and replaced it with XP so now the boot loader is XP's(Xp replaced Vista on the partition 1)

Mint is on partition two, so basically what im wondering is how can I replace the bootloader with Grub and fix it to where it's options are Mint/XP instead of the MINT/VISTA.

Thanks for all suggestions

PS: I have SUPER GRUB so I can boot to Mint. Not sure if it's bootloader fix would work.
NeXEA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Downgraded Vista to XP with Dual Boot Vista/Mint GRUB

Postby Fred on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:08 am

NeXEA,

This can be fixed without too much difficulty. And It makes perfect sense. :-)

Please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. You can go directly to that file by typing in a terminal:

gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Don't try to fix it with SuperGrub. Just use it to boot into your Linux install.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby NeXEA on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:54 am

I feel just a bit like a n00b now.

After looking through the menu file in the boot folder that I never knew existed :? I was able to change it to load up with XP.
I used Super Grub's Second "Linux -> MBR Manuel" to replace the Windows MBR with GRUB.

Not sure if this is the correct way, but it seems to do the trick.

Thanks for the hint :D
NeXEA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:32 am

NeXEA,

The only problem with fixing it with SuperGrub, in this case, is depending on which option you use, you could loose the nice pretty boot screen. That is why I said to not try to fix it with SuperGrub. But you apparently got lucky. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby NeXEA on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 am

hmmmm...
That seems strange that you would loose the pretty screen, as I still had it when I checked.

Just wondering, how would it loose the pretty screen if I fixed it with SuperGrub, does it bring it back to the normal GRUB screen.

And another, how, if you can, change the pretty screen. Just a thought ;]
NeXEA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:06 am

NeXEA,

SuperGrub offers several ways of repairing the mbr, depending upon what it thinks the problem is. Mint uses what is called gfxgrub. SuperGrub does not. If SuperGrub replaces the grub kernel in the mbr with it's own then you will loose the gfxgrub screen.

The moral to this story is you should not be too quick to fix something with SuperGrub, unless you know what you are doing. To avoid creating another problem it is usually better to go a little slower and follow your helper's advice. :-)

There is a line in the menu.lst that calls out the gfxgrub file that contains the pretty screen. That file is called several different things depending on what version of Mint you are using.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby NeXEA on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:51 am

hmmmmm
That makes sense, so Im guessing my gfxgrub file is ellysa.message, or *.mint.

And I do admit that I just wanted it done, so I did go a little fast, but at least it's fixed now :]
NeXEA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:18 pm

NeXEA,

You are correct on both accounts. All is well that ends well. I was just trying to save you problems the next time, not scold you. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby NeXEA on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm

It's all cool.

Thanks for the help though :]

-NeXEA
NeXEA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot