Mint installed on 8g stick gives Error 21: disk...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint installed on 8g stick gives Error 21: disk...

Postby mschilling on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:09 pm

"Selected disk does not exist" is what GRUB says after showing the screen letting me select an os to boot. I have manually partitioned the stick with a primary first partition, ext2, with a mount point / , and a 750mb part as a swap space. I also tried again using just one part with no swap, same result. What did I do wrong in this setup? Installation went normally, with all the files copied over to the new part. I also tried booting from it on another pc, and it said "can't boot from partition".
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint installed on 8g stick gives Error 21: disk...

Postby 67GTA on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm

When you installed the bootloader, did you install it to the USB stick?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mschilling on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm

When using the single format setup, I was given a choice of where to install the bootloader under advanced. It had either the device, or the partition, and I selected the device, which was the first choice. Would selecting the partition work better? GRUB does load up when using the stick, and it's only after selecting Mint that it has the problem of booting. I did what was recommended in the thread here about "persistent memory when booting from a usb stick".
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 67GTA on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:37 pm

Do you have a link to the instructions?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19823
They also talk about usb creator which I googled. The instructions came up on the pendivelinux.com site for how to install on a stick using Windows, Linux, etc.
I like how simple the install was using the Mint install directly onto a partion on the stick.
Sounds like this should work, although they start by formatting the stick to FAT32 or FAT16 which is different than an EXT2 format as done with a normal linux install.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/12/26 ... n-windows/
and here's the one using the apt-get usb creator.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/12/26 ... ll-via-cd/
seems like it should be possible to run the system directly off the stick with having to use the "persistent loop file", and get a faster system. I've noticed that booting off the Mint iso on a stick is not as fast as it should be.

Postby 67GTA on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:47 pm

It should work the way you were doing it if you install the bootloader to the partition. If you install it to the device, it doesn't know what to boot. It needs to point to the partiton your trying to boot on the stick. The other two links are for putting a "live" install on USB just like a live CD. There are no users, but your changes/settings are kept. This is also what the usb-creator does. Alternately, if you do a regular install as you are doing, it won't want to boot on another computer because it is setup for the hardware you used to boot the CD. With the usb-creator, it will boot on almost any PC just like a live CD, but you can't install 3D drivers, etc.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mschilling on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:37 pm

OK, thanks, I will try that (installing GRUB to the partition). Good to know about the stick working on a different computer. I did test out the persistent memory with install iso, and it did work. After connecting the laptop to ethernet and updating the wireless driver, I then was able to restart Mint with my wireless connection remembered. And it did work on my other laptop as well. The problem I had with it was doing the software updates to the system. There was about 150mb to download, and it did that, but when it installed the software, it ran out of room and errored out. After that, the system was crippled and couldn't remember any more settings, probably due to no more room on the device. The stick now only showed about 2.6g of space taken up by the system, with an 8gb stick there is plenty of room left. The file system in mint shows the system as having 0 bytes of room left, but when I plug the stick into another system, I can see that there is more room. As well, the boot up time is as slow as using the hard drive, and it should be faster when booting from the stick using the persistent memory installation. I guess this is due to the live cd type of system that was installed vs. a proper linux install with its own filesystem.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mschilling on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 pm

I tried reinstalling as above, except choosing the partition for GRUB install which was the second choice in the advanced option tab, with the same result. I wonder if there is some difference that AK Dave on the other thread that did allow the booting of the stick with those steps. Maybe there is some difference using the latest distro? I wonder what version of Mint has been successfully installed directly to the stick? Is there a way to reinstall GRUB without having to reinstall the whole system? I tried using the installer, but it won't let me get thru to the end where the GRUB gets installed without re partitioning the stick.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot