Dual booting two different drives.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual booting two different drives.

Postby Interverse on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:32 am

I've got two drives::

1 250gb HDD which boots Vista
and 1 640gb hdd which has movies, music, programs, files; all sorts of random junk that I need to exist on it.

Now, I've read tons of faqs and how-to's on how to dual-boot mint, but they all tell you how to do it by way of the Vista partition. The fact is, I don't want Linux on my Vista partition because I have more space(and the HDD is faster) on my 640gig.

I don't want to loose files from the 640, none of them. It has at least 250-ish gigs left of space on it and I intend to use 50gigs for Mint(I already have drive management set up for this).

The Linux Mint installer shows the before and after as: 0% before and 100% after. There is no 50gigs to select or anything. I can't move any tab to select an amount or anything at all.
Here's my question. I take things to a literal extreme. When someone says use "the largest continuous space" that tells me that it will use what's left out of the 50gigs rather than the 50gigs because that would be the largest continuous space. I don't want to lose any of these files and Mint doesn't seem to recognize the fact that this isn't a Vista boot HDD, this is just a storage I intend to use for Linux.
Interverse
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual booting two different drives.

Postby Interverse on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:16 am

OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE!!??

I think I just deleted more than 500 gigs ....OH GOD! HELP!
Is there any way to restore any of this!!? HELP!
Interverse
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot