Mint4win installation under vista on a laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint4win installation under vista on a laptop

Postby TJConnell on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am

Hi

I am having trouble using mint4win off the Mint 6 installation CD

The installation proceeds with no problem until the virtual disks have been created and all files copied! The installation then fails with a windows error because it cannot access the cd!

This problem wa reported some time back on the ubuntu forums with reagrd to wubi and the solution at that time was to copy wubi to the hard drive and run it from there! However if I try that with mint4win it cannot see the installation cd and attempts to install the 64bit version by download which a) it is unable to do and b) is innapropriate for my laptop!

Is there a solution to this? I have installed and used ubuntu via wubi without problem, but would much rather use Mint and as I am unable at present to repartition my hard drive for a normal install mint4win is the only mechanism I can use!

I can find no references to this problem on the Mint forums or generally which surprises me! Surely I cannot be the only one to be affected or am I the only one to use mint4win??

before anyone comments my cd is good and md5 checksums ok

My hardware is a Dell Inspiron laptop with builtin wifi! It runs fine under the live cd including wireless access to my network!

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Tom Connell
TJConnell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint4win installation under vista on a laptop

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm

I have tested it in Vista and Windows 7 pre-beta, it works 100% here.
Make sure you are selecting Liunx_Mint_Main and not Linux_Mint_x64

If that still doesn't work you can copy mint4win.exe to C:\
Then run mint4win.exe --32bit
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby TJConnell on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:20 am

When installing from the CD I insert the CD and mint4win starts autiomatically!

main is already selected and there are no other choices in the drop down!

installation DOES proceed to a point and at that point which seems to be after the image has been copied to disk it cannot any longer read the cd and proceed with the next stage!

Here is the bug report for wubi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/237198

whatever was happening in wubi then is happening in mint4win now, however wubi no longer has this problem so something was changed to fix it!

I will copy the excutable to disk and try the --32bit flag and see what happens!

Will report back later

Tom Connell
TJConnell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TJConnell on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:36 am

As a further note I found the following bug report relating to the issue on wubi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/207137

in which there is much discussion, but no real fix except to say that later versions of ubuntu work ok which has been my experience also

one suggestion is to burn the cd image to a dvd (and It is possible that the later versions of ubuntu i used WERE dvds i don't have them to hand at present) I may try this later

will report back

Tom Connell
TJConnell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TJConnell on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 am

I am happy to report that if the CD image is written to a DVD-R then min4win runs and installs OK

I now have Linux Mint 6 installed and running alongside my vista setup so I can get busy configuring it to my needs!

This seems to be a very weird problem! I wrote 2 different cds whilst trying to get it to work! MD5 checks on both the original iso image and the created CD-Rs were OK yet the CD does not instal and the DVD does!

My problem is resolved I will leave it to you to see if changes to mint4win are required!

Tom Connell
TJConnell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Must have been something wrong with the cd.
I compiled mint4win from the current Wubi source.
The only things I changed where the app name and the Distro info.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby TJConnell on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I think that this is a problem with the removable drive drivers on windows and does seem to vary between machines some work ok and some do not! I am sure my CD would work OK on your kit! My machine is a Dell inspiron laptop and will have a dell supplied proprietary driver for the removable drive! Other hardware will be different!

Tom Connell
TJConnell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:05 pm

If you have the iso and the mint4win.exe, just put them in the same folder to install.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot