Grub Selection Seems Frozen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub Selection Seems Frozen

Postby Mairi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:57 pm

Greetings.

This is my first post here, and I hate that it's a problem. Just let me say, I've loved using Elyssa for the few months that I have. Even installed on my friends computer. She hated it at first, but now she hates having to use her Windows partition.

But on to my issue. I tried search...but I wasn't even sure how to word it.

I tried to boot into my Windows today, and Grub seems to be frozen, in a way. The F1 key for help doesn't work, the arrow keys to move to other OS doesn't work. I've thought of using startup manager to change the primary boot to Windows. But..I'd sure hate to somehow get stuck on there.

I have a chance at a job, and I need to take some ProveIt! tests, and only have 24 hours to do so. I would sure appreciate any help, advice and general pointing in the right direction. I can see Windows, I know it's still there. I even tried replugging in the USB KB.
Mairi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub Selection Seems Frozen

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Boot the live cd and mount the linux partition.
Then edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and make sure to back it up 1st.
Just remove the gfxboot=/etc/grub/message.elyssa

Now reboot and see if that works.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Grub Selection Seems Frozen

Postby Mairi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply. As it turns out, it was the USB KB. I didn't realize I hadn't tried to return to Windows since I installed it. Shows how much I use Windows, generally. I had to go into the bios and enable Legacy USB emulation. Something like that. This got the KB recognized by Grub.

I am a bit amused however, that the almighty Windows that is ever so much easier, didn't recognize that KB, or find a driver for it. Mint on the other hand, didn't even blink. Worked right away.
Mairi
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot