Installing Mint 6 with Windows.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Mint 6 with Windows.

Postby grizwald on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:23 am

Some time ago I referred to a difficulty in installing Mint alongside an existing working copy of Windows XP and described some problems encountered. Now that Mint 6 has been released I thought I would try again. I am delighted to see a revamped graphical display which I think is excellent.

In an earlier post I referred to Mint shrinking the existing Windows partition such that it [XP] could no longer operate. The following may better illustrate what I was describing.

This is the H/D layout of the intended recipient [Laptop] of Mint 6 as shown by Parted magic.

For this experiment I deliberately made an unallocated space of 20 odd GB in which to install Mint 6.
So, using my Mint 6 CD and the install feature, I arrived at this stage.

But look what Mint 6 wants to do! Shrink the XP partition and slot Mint 6 in the newly made space! Not much space for XP now.
OK lets try a different approach....

The "Manual" option wants to use the whole drive!!!

Try again.....

So much for using the "Largest available free space" - there is only 1 to choose from but Nope, not a bit of it!!
So what is so unattractive about the free space?

Of course, I could do what I have done in the past, go for option 1 [shrink XP so it won't work any more] and use Parted magic to sort out the resultant mess, but there must be a more elegant method.

So, Guys and Gals, does anyone have a quick and tidy solution [excluding a replacement Hard Drive].

Thanks in advance for any help.

Griz.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Mint 6 with Windows.

Postby Pierre on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 am

highlight the partition to use = eg: sda5
click edit (partition ) & set as root /
if not using a seperate /home = click next
you may need to create a swap, first, though
+
if using a seperate /home, create another partition, by shrinking another to suit & edit as /home,
do the same for the swap partition as well.

P.
:)
Pierre
Level 7
Level 7

Postby doglover on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:56 am

Hi. Ignore that manual 100% thing, it doesn't mean that it will take the whole drive. Just go into manual, create a new partition in the free space and install there.

IMF
doglover
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grizwald on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi IMF,

Thanks for your post, I did as you suggested and after a minor glitch, everything worked as expected. Appreciate your help.

John [AKA Griz.]

BTW. I'm a dog lover too, Border Collies are my favourite.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby grizwald on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your help too, your suggestion makes sense now after ignoring the mistaken belief that 'Manual' would take over the whole drive.

Cheers,

John [AKA Griz].
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot