[Solved] Upgrading from 17.1 to 17.2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mattyboy

[Solved] Upgrading from 17.1 to 17.2

Post by Mattyboy »

Fairly simple question which I'm surprised I can't find an answer to by doing an internet search but there you go :?

So I figured I'd update from 17.1 to 17.2 via either terminal or Software manager. I gather if I do it via terminal I'll be able to update the kernel too? ( secondary request could someone supply me with the commands for doing this. Complete start to finish, thanks ).

So, my main question. What are to consequences to my system when I upgrade? By that I mean will my system keep my files, my settings, programs... conkey etc etc.
Or will the upgrade be essentially the same as a fresh install?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any replies you make :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: Upgrading from 17.1 to 17.2

Post by ofb »

Yup, you really do want to work on your Search skills. : ) This one shouldn't have been hard to find.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2871

The upgrade is not the same as a fresh install, it's more like a more thorough than usual update. So your data and personalizations will remain untouched, unless there is something that is not supported in 17.2.

Alongside the cautions listed in the announcement, I might add that one can run the LiveISO of 17.2 to test how well it will play with your hardware. As usual, make sure you run the Driver Manager in the Live session to install and thus test any proprietary drivers for your system.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

@ofb

Thank you for the reply. Yes I did find that link but it didn't provide the specific answer to my question. Just instructions on what to do.
Regardless you make a good point about running a live version before upgrading. Presumably a Live version ( from the 17.2 ISO ) will feature the latest kernel whereas the upgrade route will retain the old Kernel ( unless I find and run the sudo command for upgrading that too ). Obviously all my hardware and proprietary drivers are currently working. I won't be able to 'test' 'old kernel + 17.2' until its actually installed. Is there a possibility of running into problems if I choose this route?

Would the best method be testing a live version. If everything is ok updating my current Kernel then upgrading to 17.2?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Mattyboy wrote:@ofb

Thank you for the reply. Yes I did find that link but it didn't provide the specific answer to my question. Just instructions on what to do.
Regardless you make a good point about running a live version before upgrading. Presumably a Live version ( from the 17.2 ISO ) will feature the latest kernel whereas the upgrade route will retain the old Kernel ( unless I find and run the sudo command for upgrading that too ). Obviously all my hardware and proprietary drivers are currently working. I won't be able to 'test' 'old kernel + 17.2' until its actually installed. Is there a possibility of running into problems if I choose this route?

Would the best method be testing a live version. If everything is ok updating my current Kernel then upgrading to 17.2?
Couldn't find it.
Didn't read it.
bullet 2 of "Additional info"
I hope you have backups.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Habitual wrote:
Mattyboy wrote: Couldn't find it.
Didn't read it.
bullet 2 of "Additional info"
I hope you have backups.
Ok, as you have both sent me to the same link, the very same link that I had already read before posting this thread would one of you kindly take a screenshot of that page and underline precisely where it answers my original question. Then post that screen shot back here, because, you know guys, I just don't see it.
Mattyboy wrote:By that I mean will my system keep my files, my settings, programs... conkey etc etc
I think my follow up question would prove that I read it or I wouldn't have asked it in the first place.

Maybe re-read what I asked?
Habitual wrote:Didn't read it
I'm looking for help here, think I should remind you of that fact.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Mattyboy wrote:Obviously all my hardware and proprietary drivers are currently working. I won't be able to 'test' 'old kernel + 17.2' until its actually installed. Is there a possibility of running into problems if I choose this route?
It's less likely. The kernel update will change how your hardware interacts with the OS, so that's the step with more chance of trouble.
No -- the order is upgrade to 17.2 then update to the recommended kernel for 17.2.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

ofb wrote:
Mattyboy wrote:Obviously all my hardware and proprietary drivers are currently working. I won't be able to 'test' 'old kernel + 17.2' until its actually installed. Is there a possibility of running into problems if I choose this route?
It's less likely. The kernel update will change how your hardware interacts with the OS, so that's the step with more chance of trouble.
No -- the order is upgrade to 17.2 then update to the recommended kernel for 17.2.
Thanks, that's clear and precise. I have tested a Live version and it looks like I'm good to go. I will follow your recommended order.

Thanks again for YOUR answers :wink: :)
Habitual

Re: [Solved] Upgrading from 17.1 to 17.2

Post by Habitual »

I don't know what people want anymore.

How is bullet 2 of "Additional info" which says
"Should you decide to upgrade to 17.2’s recommended kernel you can do so by applying the “linux-kernel-generic” update, post-upgrade" not clear enough?

It's rhetorical and I don't care what your answers are.

I volunteer helping people here and you could be a little more cognitive of how forums work.

You're welcome.

End Transmission.

Return to “Installation & Boot”