Boot Issues After Adding New Vid Card

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot Issues After Adding New Vid Card

Postby bennett2005 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 am

Hey Gang,

First off, I just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of Mint. I came over from Ubuntu 8.10, and I love the extra perks and tweaks that Mint offers. Seems to make more sense to me as an OS to have these things included.

I'm having trouble getting my Mint OS to boot though. I run a dual boot with a tiny XP partition (mostly a glorified gaming platform), and after installing a new graphics card yesterday my Mint boot won't load.

I had an ATI x700 installed previously; I removed that card and added an nVidia Geforce 9500 (PNY manufacturer). The card performs without issue on my XP bootup, and the XP bootup is working fine as well.

However, selecting the Mint boot gives me trouble. I get the 'Starting Up' text, then a splash screen for a few moments, then this: (verbatim from my screen)

usplash: setting mode 1152x864 failed
usplash: using mode 1024x768
Gave up waiting for root device-common problems:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
-check root = (did the system wait for the right device?)
-missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist! Dropping to a shell!

I've tried to reinstall Mint after this first occurred, thinking that some issue with the new card might have corrupted the OS. But I get the same sequence of errors after a fresh install. The first few lines of errors seem directly related to video card issues, but the rest of it really doesn't to me.

Could anyone help me get this figured out? I'm still relatively new to Linux in the command line area, so I'll need a relatively simple walkthrough if I need to hack it out.

Here's my partition configuration:

dev/sda1: NTFS (Win XP)

dev/sda5: Ext3 ( /)

dev/sda2 Swap

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks! :D
bennett2005
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot Issues After Adding New Vid Card

Postby monkeyboy on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I once terminated a dual boot install so badly that it was not worth trying to save. So I got out a copy of Partition Magic (alts QTparted, GParted) and deleted everything but the XP partition and reset the MBR using a copy of Super Grub Disk. After that it was a fresh install and away I went. Sure I lost all my settings but I got a fresh working install, it was dirt simple and the fix was relatively quick. Good Luck
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry

If you can't make it work maybe you are making it fail.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Boot Issues After Adding New Vid Card

Postby bennett2005 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Turns out it must have been a weird GRUB issue that I wasn't aware of. Going through the steps you suggested helped.

Thanks!
bennett2005
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot