Live CD Installation hang..."solved"?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Live CD Installation hang..."solved"?

Postby steve9199 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:15 am

I've been having some issues lately trying to install Mint 6, or reinstall my Mint 5 KDE OS, and having no luck whatsoever. The installation would either hang and lock up my computer completely, or using compatibilty mode would just give me an "out of range" error.

Well, purely on a hunch I switched back from my new LCD monitor to the old CRT, popped in the Mint 5 KDE disk, went into compatibilty mode, erased the line that said "forcevesa" and added "break=button" at the end of the commands.(without the quotes) Mint 5 I'm happy to say is now back on my dual-boot PC.

I have a feeling the new disk doesn't like a low end LCD monitor. I'll play around with 5 again for a while, then attempt the same steps to try upgrading to 6. If anyone else has success with the above, please let me know and I'll make the change sooner rather than later.

-Steve
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live CD Installation hang..."solved"?

Postby steve9199 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 am

OK troops...I just attempted to do the Live CD with Mint 6, following all the above steps EXCEPT for attaching the CRT monitor. It failed, so I'm leaning toward the Live CD not liking the LCD monitor.

Will try tomorrow with the CRT to see if I can get the Mint 6 live CD to boot up. If it works, I'll update.

-Steve
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot