Linux Mint won't boot into recovery mode...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint won't boot into recovery mode...

Postby richardcarter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Hello,

I have gone through so many linux distributions and something always goes wrong and I end up moving on to the next distribution.

I am now running linuxmint KDE 5. I tried installing drivers for an ATI radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 graphics card using the official drivers from the ATI website. I thought these drivers were already installed opensource, but whenever I tried to open the ATI control panel in linux mint, it told me the drivers weren't installed.

So I tried installing the new drivers. And now when the computer boots, it goes from my bios, immediately into the linux mint menu with the following options:

Linuxmint Kernal
Linuxmint Kernal (recovery mode)
Linuxmint memtest

and then press f1 for help.

There is no way to toggle to any selection except for linuxmint kernal. The down arrow doesn't move anything, nor does tab. And "f1" does nothing. I've also tried pressing escape. Grub does not show either.

So now my linuxmint kernal seems damaged after trying to install the driver. The little blue loading bar with the linux mint logo comes up, but then I get to a screen which lists the loading system processes such as starting cupsd, starting sama, starting bluetooth, etc. But then it says "FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko) : No such device.

Then it says "running local boot scripts" and nothing happens. How can I fix this?

If I can get into recovery mode, I think i can just use "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" from the terminal and reconfigure my settings. But it won't let me get to any terminal.

And help would be greatly appreciated!
richardcarter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint won't boot into recovery mode...

Postby richardcarter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Anyone???????

I tried hitting a bunch of random keys during startup. Now I get a text screen which says

Ubuntu Based: Linux Mint Elyssa - KDE CD richard-desktop tty1

richard-desktop login:

and when I put in my info, nothing happens.

Help!
richardcarter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint won't boot into recovery mode...

Postby richardcarter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Well, I was able to select recovery mode. I use a usb wireless keyboard, and I had to turn on "usb emulation" in the bios to get it to work.

I ran dpkg and xfix Fix X Server and it still won't boot.

It takes me to this screen:

Ubuntu Based: Linux mint Elyssa - KDE CE richard-desktop tty1

richard-desktop login:

and it won't allow me to log in.

Does anyone read these forums anyway?
richardcarter
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot