How to install Linux mint cinnamon on Asus Laptop keep UEFI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to install Linux mint cinnamon on Asus Laptop keep U

Post by austin.texas »

maxruben wrote: do I have to defrag after deleting "D" drive?
No. You do not have to defrag any partition after deleting "D Drive".
maxruben wrote:What do you want to say by Near bottom of the window you will see "Device for boot loader installation", where I find it,
"Device for boot loader installation" is at the bottom:
bootloadersdaScreenshot.png
maxruben wrote:I already have the efi partition on /dev/sda1(on picture 2) no trouble to name it /dev/sda1?
Do not change the existing sda1. Do not create a new one. Do not rename it.
maxruben wrote: Do you have any idea what can be /dev/sda2 it says file system "unknown" (128MiB)
That is a partition created by Windows for Windows. Do not change that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi,
I did everything as you said.
When I restarted the computer I had a black screen with some messages on it (picture 1).
I had to shut it down manually, when it restarted it came first with what we have with the DVD's installation (picture2) and then start to open Linux but I don't see the possibility to open on windows in any way.
Any idea??
Again impossible to upload the picture it say too BIG!!
I sen you a link
Thank you
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Here the link:
jolishare.com/9kWDPqvIOE
Thank you
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

When you get Screen 2 press Enter.
If you want to start Windows, use the Down Arrow key on your keyboard. Go to "Windows" and press Enter.

Did you try that and it did not work?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Photo #1: Sometimes after install is done it doesn't shutdown properly. Sometimes just hitting <Enter> key at that screen makes it shutdown. Sometimes you just have to hit power button like you did. No big deal because Photo #2 shows that everything installed fine.

Photo #2: This is the menu of the grub boot loader and is perfectly normal. The first entry listed is Mint and you can either hit the <Enter> key to start it, or just wait for it to auto-start after 10 seconds. As austin.texas pointed out, the third entry shown is for starting Windows. Just use your down arrow key to move to that option and hit <Enter> to start Windows.
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi to both of you,
I feel very stupid I didn't pay attention of the detail of the black screen turning the pc on.
Thanks a lot you have been so patient with me, grace to you, beginners like me have the possibility to come to Linux this is GREAT, you make it so easy to everyone.
GREAT JOB.
I'm going to put resolved, I want to put an anti virus could you counsel me one?
I wish a pretty good day to both of you.
Best regards.
Max
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

maxruben wrote:I'm going to put resolved, I want to put an anti virus could you counsel me one?
I wish a pretty good day to both of you.
Best regards.
Max
I am glad you got it all working!
To mark it SOLVED go to your first post, click EDIT, add [SOLVED] to the title.

Linux is different from Windows. Anti-virus software is much less important.
I have never used any anti-virus software in many years of using linux.

Have an excellent day.
Linux Linx 2018
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Congrats maxruben and welcome to Mint.

I've never used an anti-virus in Linux either. People that do use one are usually only doing so to scan for Windows viruses before emailing or sharing files with a Windows computer. Give yourself a few weeks to get used to using Mint before trying to mess around with setting up and using an anti-virus. If you then decide to install one, put this into a search engine to find posts on the forum about that: site:forums.linuxmint.com anti-virus. If you need further help after that, make a new post with that as the subject in the title of post.

P.s.
Mint has a firewall that is not enabled by default. You can enable it by opening a terminal and entering this command:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw enable
Enter your password when prompted. As you type your password in a terminal, nothing will appear on the screen. That is normal. Just type it and hit <Enter>.

The command will activate the firewall and it will get auto-started on every boot thereafter. By default it allows connections you initiate and denies all other incoming connections. So, the default setting will be sufficient for most users and the above command is all you need to do.
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi Gold-Finger,

Thank you, I did it but YES something appeared on the screen "Firewall is active and enabled on system startup".
Have a great day.
Cheers.
Max
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Gold_Finger,
I saw an update for file manager so I did it;then after the update it shows me 92 updates recommended. Do I have to install everything as "blinded"? (see picture)
What are the different level (1,2,3) and the type like "!".
There is no user guide for Mint cinnamon in French the only one is in mate but is version 9, do you think is it good?
I am a loyal user of Ccleaner since many years in windows to clean my download files, temporary internet files etc...can you recommend me something similar? (bleachbit?)
Thants a lot.
Max
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

maxruben wrote:I saw an update for file manager so I did it;then after the update it shows me 92 updates recommended. Do I have to install everything as "blinded"? What are the different level (1,2,3) and the type like "!".
You should update Levels 1, 2, and 3.
The other levels should not be updated except for some specific purpose.
maxruben wrote:There is no user guide for Mint cinnamon in French the only one is in mate but is version 9, do you think is it good?
It may help some, but many things have changed.
maxruben wrote:I am a loyal user of Ccleaner since many years in windows to clean my download files, temporary internet files etc...can you recommend me something similar? (bleachbit?)
Mint is different from Windows. With Windows the CCleaner is important. With Mint you really do not need it at all. There is no bloated Registry in linux as there is in Windows.
Linux Linx 2018
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi Austin.Texas,
Thank you for your reactivity, I have a password admin trouble I posted here "Password admin not recognized in cession user" maybe you have a solution I start to desperate...
Thank you.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

maxruben wrote:I saw an update for file manager so I did it;then after the update it shows me 92 updates recommended. Do I have to install everything as "blinded"?
Occationally the Mint Update program itself will have an update. That is what got updated first when you did your initial update. After that completes, it will then show you all other updates for the system. By default, Mint presents level 1, 2 and 3 updates. These are security and general program updates and are safe to do -- you should accept and install all of those presented. Levels 4 and 5 are not automatically included for updating. Unless you have a specific problem that requires a level 4 or 5 update to resolve it, you should not change the Mint Update settings to install those levels of updates.

maxruben wrote:There is no user guide for Mint cinnamon in French the only one is in mate but is version 9, do you think is it good?
I have no idea. Like austin.texas said, it might help provide some basic information that is helpful, but some of the procedures shown may be outdated or slightly different from what is done in Cinnamon currently.

If you can find (with a search engine) a French language book or tutorial describing the basics of Linux, (any Linux in general), that will probably be very helpful.

Also, for future reference, it may be easier for you to ask questions in French by using either the French section of the Mint Forums; or you can also ask questions on the larger Ubuntu French forum. Mint is based on Ubuntu, so most things that apply to Ubuntu also apply to Mint.

maxruben wrote:Hi Gold-Finger,

Thank you, I did it but YES something appeared on the screen "Firewall is active and enabled on system startup".
Have a great day.
Cheers.
Max
Sorry, I was not clear on my explanation. I meant that you would not see anything on the terminal screen only when typing in your password. (The password would not show as you type.) After you hit enter, then yes you will see the output of the command: "Firewall is active and enabled on system startup".
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi Gold-Finger,

I answered to Laurent 85 a week ago but since he didn't give me an answer.
Under windows with two sessions created, one as admin and the other as standard user, it is possible to install programs and / or make changes in the standard cession; it is possible to install a program that will only work for one of the two users.
If I understand your answer I have to be on the admin assignment to make changes ??
If this is the case all installation, uninstalling programs and / or modification of parameters must do what the admin assignment; is this considered for all users?
There is a command to install something from a standard cession without opening an admin assignment, because if is the case typing my admin password it have a message saying "wrong password" and that is my password admin?
Thank you for your answer.
Max
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

maxruben wrote:it is possible to install a program that will only work for one of the two users.
If I understand your question correctly... Only the administrative user can install programs in the normal way, because he is a member of the sudo group.
But if you want to make installed programs accessible to only one user, that is possible.
One thing you can do is remove the program launcher from the menu of the restricted user. (That does not eliminate the ability to start the program from the command line.)
If you do not want the restricted user to have that ability, do this:
Open a terminal and create a folder called bin in your home directory.

mkdir /home/yourusername/bin
(Change "yourusername")
When that directory exists, it is automatically added to your "path" on startup.
As an example, let us say that you install the program "bluefish" and you want to restrict it to one user. In the terminal enter the command:

which bluefish
potus@wh ~ $ which bluefish
/usr/bin/bluefish

That tells me that bluefish is started by the bluefish link found in /usr/bin
In your file manager, open File System > /usr/bin and copy the bluefish link from /usr/bin to /home/yourusername/bin
Then move the default bluefish link from /usr/bin to /var/tmp

sudo mv /usr/bin/bluefish /var/tmp/
You can move it anywhere, but I like to save odd things in /var/tmp
EDIT: It would be just as easy to rename /usr/bin/bluefish to /usr/bin/bluefishBACK. That would work fine.

Now the restricted user no longer has access to that program, but the administrative user still does.
Last edited by austin.texas on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Linx 2018
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi Austin.Texas,
"..Only the administrative user can install programs in the normal way, because he is a member of the sudo group" is that mean I have to be in an admin cession to install a program or I can do it in a standard cession because since the installation of Linux I can NOT do any change during a standard cession even in writing my password admin (it says "wrong password").
Best week end.
Max
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The administrative user is a member of the "sudo" group
dan@skynet1 ~ $ groups
dan adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

Only members of the "sudo" group are permitted to run "sudo" commands, (sudo apt-get install ___ )
The standard user cannot run "sudo" commands if that user is not a member of the "sudo" group - no matter which password is used.
So, yes, you have to be in the administrative session to install programs. Or you can make the standard user a member of the "sudo" group.
To add user "ghengis" to the "sudo" group:

sudo adduser ghengis sudo
Linux Linx 2018
maxruben

Post by maxruben »

Hi Austin.Texas,
Thanks again for your answer, you are always here to help people not like some that makes you comment that don't give water to the water mill jeje.
Have a pretty nice week end.
Best regards.
Max

Return to “Installation & Boot”