USB Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

USB Install

Postby stockdam on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:59 pm

I've installed Mint 6 using the Pendrive method......http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-mint-6-flash-drive-install-via-cd/

What should I set the "stored in reserved extra space too"........what happens if I slide the slider all the way to the right (max) or else use the minimum (slider to left)?

Persistance...............instead of the software continually writing to the flash drive can I now change it so that it install into RAM and will not write to the USB drive unless I decide to back up the changes during the current session? I really only want to install a few applications, setup some internet favourites and then I probably won't want to make changes. Or should I make an image after I've done all of this and this image will not write to the USB when in use?

What are the different options?
stockdam
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB Install

Postby stockdam on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 am

No comments :cry:

Ok I noticed that in my USB installation there is no persistence option in the boot menu.

So it isn't persistent as a default.

I added the word persistent to the end of the boot string (hit tab at the boot menu to display it) and this made it persistent for that session.

I can do this several times until I make the changes I want - UK keyboard, wireless passphrase, internet favourites etc. then just run it in non-persistent mode.

Some distros can load into memory but I'm not sure how this can be done with Mint. Even without this the changes that are made during a non-persistent session will be saved somewhere (in memory) - where are these and can these be written back onto the USB stick before logging off if required?
stockdam
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot