USB Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stockdam

USB Install

Post by stockdam »

I've installed Mint 6 using the Pendrive method......http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-mint ... ll-via-cd/

What should I set the "stored in reserved extra space too"........what happens if I slide the slider all the way to the right (max) or else use the minimum (slider to left)?

Persistance...............instead of the software continually writing to the flash drive can I now change it so that it install into RAM and will not write to the USB drive unless I decide to back up the changes during the current session? I really only want to install a few applications, setup some internet favourites and then I probably won't want to make changes. Or should I make an image after I've done all of this and this image will not write to the USB when in use?

What are the different options?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stockdam

Re: USB Install

Post by stockdam »

No comments :cry:

Ok I noticed that in my USB installation there is no persistence option in the boot menu.

So it isn't persistent as a default.

I added the word persistent to the end of the boot string (hit tab at the boot menu to display it) and this made it persistent for that session.

I can do this several times until I make the changes I want - UK keyboard, wireless passphrase, internet favourites etc. then just run it in non-persistent mode.

Some distros can load into memory but I'm not sure how this can be done with Mint. Even without this the changes that are made during a non-persistent session will be saved somewhere (in memory) - where are these and can these be written back onto the USB stick before logging off if required?

Return to “Installation & Boot”