Problem installing through windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem installing through windows

Postby polargimp on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 pm

hi.

I'm using Vista and for certain facts regarding the laptop i'm using, i cant install mint on a seperate partition. I am therefore attempting to install the 64 bit version through windows but the install fails everytime when it gets to downloading the files. It is unable to connect and states that the URL returned error: 404, Which we all know is address not found.

Has anyone else had this problem, how do i solve it or is my iso corrupt? MD5 is fine though

Polargimp
polargimp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem installing through windows

Postby DataMan on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 am

Although I haven't done it yet (and probably never will :D ), I think you need to run Mint from a virtualization within Vista. You will need to set up the virtual app first, then install Mint. You cannot happily double click on the Mint iso within Vista and expect any kind of results (other than Redmond warnings).

My suggestion is to get a decent partition editor and whittle Vista down to size and then do an actual installation of it's own (Mint). Chime in if you are interested in going that route. There's plenty of resources available to walk you through the steps.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby polargimp on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 am

it has an install through windows option that installs it in the same way that wubi installs ubuntu.
its just that MintInWin (the installer) doesn't seem to be able to download the setup files, which are needed to install.
not really intereseted in running it through a virtualisation.
polargimp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:13 am

polargimp,

I would suggest you run it from the live cd to see if you might be interested. If so, take the time and effort to learn to install it correctly. If not, don't put yourself through the hassle. Just stay with Windows.

In the end you will find the above to be good advice.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby polargimp on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:24 am

I am an experienced linux user, and i need to have it installed,

Its just that the only computer that i have isn't technically mine at the moment and the owner doesn't want teh harddrive mucked with in anyway, I am fine installing it on its own but its just installing through windows that is the problem.

i ran it off the live cd and liked it very much.

thanks all for the advice :D
polargimp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ontherun on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet? If not, perhaps this option should be removed as it's obviously borked. A broken "feature" is not really a feature, and just creates a piss poor first impression.
ontherun

Postby polargimp on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 pm

i emailed the developers and they said that the 404 was caused because the x64 release is marked as an unstable release and not as a stable, therefore the connection is refused upon the download location.

supposedly
polargimp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kj7ny on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:36 pm

I had this same problem when trying to install in Vista (32 bit) on a Dell XPS M1330. So, I just tried installing through windows from an XP SP3 box and get the following error:

* About to connect() to upload.linuxmint.com port 80 (#0)
* Trying 80.86.83.193... * Timeout
* couldn't connect to host
* Closing connection #0

I tried just going directly to upload.linuxmint.com using http://upload.linuxmint.com in firefox from the same machine just to see if it was a proxy issue. I repeatedly get:

404 - Not Found

I can get to http://www.linuxmint.com and obviously can get to www.forums.linixmint.com (or I wouldn't be posting this) through the same instance of firefox.

If I try to ping upload.linuxmint.com and the request times out.

Does upload.linuxmint.com exist? The ping resolves to the same 80.86.83.193 on the ping, but it does not respond.
kj7ny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kj7ny on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Ok. Went down further in the url path (to the actual file level, e.g. http://upload.linuxmint.com/mint4win/fe ... 6.metalink) and found that I could download the file through firefox.

So, is there a way to tell linuxmint "Install through Windows" how to use our proxy? Or, is there a way to manually download the files and tell linuxmint how to use the local copies instead of getting them off the internet?
kj7ny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 am

Mint4win(Wubi) can't use proxies.
Just download the iso to the same folder as the min4win.exe.
It should then install just fine.
If not you could burn the iso to a cd and let mint4win create the iso from the live cd.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot