MBR not working! Help!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

MBR not working! Help!

Postby kin on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm

So I had dual boot with XP and Ubuntu. I used a Linux Mint live CD to delete Ubuntu partition and reformat to NTFS. Now all I have is a windows partition and a free partition. Problem is, GRUB is still there and is in an error. So, I loaded a XP cd and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. Now, nothing is loading. Anyone know how I can just get Windows loading?
kin

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MBR not working! Help!

Postby hoe on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Not sure but a long time ago when l used the XP CD to repair the MBR l only used FIXMBR and not FIXBOOT and that worked for me.

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby martinlinux on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Maybe you should try fdisck /mbr.
Other solution is to use SuperGrub, is essential for this kind of problems.

http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Saludos, Martín
martinlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 am

I don't know why fixmbr didn't work but you could go old school:

Download an old windows boot disk at http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

I always have a copy of the Win95b version for times like these. Once you burn it to a CD and boot issue the fdisk /mbr command ( fdisk /mbr is the pre xp version of fixmbr ) as martianlinux suggested.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:40 am

kin,

Download and burn the latest stable version of SuperGrub live cd iso. You can use that to re-install the Windows mbr pointer and loader.

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super ... sgd/cdrom/

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby zero_gt on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi,
Did you try running the windows XP repair and then using:
fixboot c:
fixmbr

I saw that you used the "fixmbr" command above, but using both of these seemed to work for me. I had a similar problem a while ago (Grub error 22) and the above commands fixed it for me. If you want to learn more about my situation herman went pretty in depth on how the mrb works here(viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21425&p=125977#p125977).
zero_gt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EKMA on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:39 am

Hope you figured it out...if not, maybe I can help as I ran into this same problem.

A little bit of info about my problem is that I have 2 hard drives (an SATA and an IDE...XP was installed on the SATA...IDE was set to MASTER...SATA you can't choose whether to make it MASTER or SLAVE). So, I put the XP disk in the CD drive...rebooted...chose REPAIR...fixed boot and mbr....nothing...still gave errors. I then opened the case and unhooked the IDE hard drive...rebooted...fixed boot and then fixed mbr...restarted. Worked! Then I turned off the computer, hooked the IDE back up, and rebooted...Worked! Now, a little more info that may be of use. I fixed boot first then fixed mbr second...It didn't seem to work right if I tried "FIXMBR" first and then did "FIXBOOT"....not sure exactly why, but, what the heck do I know...haha...It sounds like you are trying to repair the mbr first...I would suggest you go the other route...fix boot first then mbr.

Hope this helps...

Cliff
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot