Can I alter the Grub 'pause'?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can I alter the Grub 'pause'?

Postby alun_sundry on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:02 pm

My desktop pc has Mandriva on it, and I was easily able to set it up to only pause at the bootloader menu for three seconds rather than ten, and if I remember rightly that can still be altered from within Mandriva. My laptop has Mint 6; can I alter this Grub pause easily? I'm not too keen to do any Terminal work....

I know it's not too rational to be bothered about the loss of seven seconds, but three seconds is plenty if I fancy a rare Vista session.

Thanks.
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I alter the Grub 'pause'?

Postby herman on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 pm

If you're not too keen on using the terminal and running Linux commands, then I don't know.
There are nice GUI applications for doing a lot of things now in most Linux distros.
I know there are grub editors, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for use with Mint's GRUB.
Mint's GRUB is special because it uses the fancy graphical gfxboot menu background.

Until someone comes along with a better answer, I can tell you the terminal commands to open your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and change the timer manually,
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

That's it!
Once it's open all you need to do is scroll down to the timer setting and change the number there from 10 to 3 or whatever you want, save the changes and close the file.

Regards, Herman :)
herman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dmj99 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 am

If you are truly dead set against editing the menu.lst file, open up synaptic package manager and install kgrubeditor. This is a very nice graphical front end for managing grub (although its a rather large download). I've installed it in Linux Mint and it works.

DeeJay
dmj99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alun_sundry on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:04 am

Okay, thanks for that - it wasn't as 'scary' as I thought and the job was a simple one with Terminal, and has worked perfectly. Cheers!
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot