Felicia crash: some notes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Felicia crash: some notes

Postby T J Tulley on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am

When I reported the crash about a week ago, it was rapidly automatically repaired - that hasn't happened this time.

The repair was reported in a screen which ended with a notice saying something like: "Errors fixed but system needs to reboot. Will reboot in - - seconds".

I can't remember just what produced that screen - can anyone please suggest how to do so?

Another note:
Before opening BusyBox, the log reports (abbreviated):
mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/static/dev failed: - no such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: - no such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: - no such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
No init found - try passing init=bootarg

I begin to wonder whether these places not found might relate to the fact that the (Felicia) system failing to boot has the /boot/grub/device.map file identifying drives as: hd0 = sdb; hd1 = sdc; hd2 = sdd.
I have commented before on this anomaly in some but not all installations from a live CD.
Currently I am working in Elyssa6 which has /device.map set as hd0 = sda; hd1 = sdb; hd2 = sdc and this has been very stable for a long time. I have copied into it the last contents of .mozilla, .mozilla-thunderbird, .tomboy and .tomboy.log from Felicia so I have all my mail and browser archives up to date and can continue to use them.

Any comments or advice welcome!
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot