Before upgrade 17.2 to 17.3 KDE Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Before upgrade 17.2 to 17.3 KDE Linux Mint

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I am going to do my first Linux Mint upgrade (I was openSUSE and Slackware), from 17.2 to 17.3 KDE and have a couple of questions for those that have gone through this once or twice :-)

1. I added PPA's for libreoffice, quiterss, youtube-dl, guvcview. Do I need to disable the PPA's before upgrading to 17.3?

2. Per instructions at http://www.webupd8.org/2015/08/install- ... tu-or.html, I added the apt file to increase the Pin-Priority for libreoffice. Should I remove this file?

3. Both of the above assume the upgrade will override packages that were installed via PPA's. The upgrade will override, correct?

4. In 17.2, I uninstalled everything I could dealing with KDE PIM. Does the Upgrade only install the packages that are currently installed, or will it install everything over again (like a new install)?

5. If the upgrade updates a package that requires configuration, like Samba, will I get the prompts to config, keep, compare, or will it just override my current config and I'll have to go back and update the config?

6. Home directories are not touched, correct?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Before upgrade 17.2 to 17.3 KDE Linux Mint

Post by caf4926 »

You don't have to upgrade
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I'll just backup and wing it. The one thing I'd really like to know, should I disable the PPA's while doing the upgrade.
I think I'll uninstall libreoffice office and reinstall it from the distro, so hopefully the upgrade will pick it up smoothly.
Release Notes for Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

lmuserx4849 wrote:I am going to do my first Linux Mint upgrade (I was openSUSE and Slackware), from 17.2 to 17.3 KDE and have a couple of questions for those that have gone through this once or twice :-)

1. I added PPA's for libreoffice, quiterss, youtube-dl, guvcview. Do I need to disable the PPA's before upgrading to 17.3?
I upgraded both Mint 17 KDE to Mint 17.3, and Mint 17 Cinnamon to Mint 17.2, via the Update Manager, and in both cases my PPA's (Google Chrome and ubuntuzilla) caused no problems.
lmuserx4849 wrote:2. Per instructions at http://www.webupd8.org/2015/08/install- ... tu-or.html, I added the apt file to increase the Pin-Priority for libreoffice. Should I remove this file?
3. Both of the above assume the upgrade will override packages that were installed via PPA's. The upgrade will override, correct?
I am fairly certain that if you delete the Pin-Priority apt file you will end up with libreoffice 4.4.3
In fact, even with it you might.
lmuserx4849 wrote:4. In 17.2, I uninstalled everything I could dealing with KDE PIM. Does the Upgrade only install the packages that are currently installed, or will it install everything over again (like a new install)?
My own experience with this was with Firefox. I don't use it and don't want to download the frequent updates, so I entered "sudo apt-get --purge autoremove firefox" to remove it from my system. Then when I upgraded, the upgrade re-installed Firefox.
lmuserx4849 wrote:5. If the upgrade updates a package that requires configuration, like Samba, will I get the prompts to config, keep, compare, or will it just override my current config and I'll have to go back and update the config?
I can't give you much insight on this. I don't have any Samba config worth worrying about. I have not noticed any config problems at all after upgrading.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”