Won't boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.27-11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Won't boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.27-11

Postby jyavenard on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 am

Hi

Thought I would try Mint on a new machine, downloaded the live CD, got a spanky new hard drive.

Installed Mint. Quite impressed, really look nice

Started Synaptic to perform an upgrade, all fine.

I reboot, and now I get a kernel panic straight after the GRUB menu

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block

So now I'm a bit less impressed.

2.6.27-11 was running just fine on the same machine (different drive) with Ubuntu 8.10 ...

Any ideas what is going on there?

I have re-installed the whole thing twice, each time I get the same behaviour. It boots fine with the original 2.6.27-7

Jean-Yves
jyavenard
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Won't boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.27-11

Postby rivenought on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:19 am

I think you are updating your system via Synaptic, which is not the suggested way to upgrade due to the possibilities of breakage. You will probably get much better results from upgrading via mintUpdate.

In mintUpdate, Levels 1 and 2 are safe. You can pick and choose the level 3 updates depending on what you actually need. Levels 4 and 5 are not recommended unless you are more experienced with Linux.

Welcome to Linux Mint, by the way. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jyavenard on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am

rivenought wrote:I think you are updating your system via Synaptic, which is not the suggested way to upgrade due to the possibilities of breakage. You will probably get much better results from upgrading via mintUpdate.

In mintUpdate, Levels 1 and 2 are safe. You can pick and choose the level 3 updates depending on what you actually need. Levels 4 and 5 are not recommended unless you are more experienced with Linux.

I thought Mint was compatible with Ubuntu package..

If Synaptic isn't safe, then I suggest not putting right after you click on the main application menu, nor have the default ubuntu repository present.

Because right now, it breaks Mint and is the first thing the user will do right after he/she clicks on the main menu..
jyavenard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:23 am

Writing this as I am installing Mint on a system, the first thing I noticed in a brand-new install is the little padlock flashing in the panel. I opened mintUpdate and saw only levels 1, 2, and 3. None of those packages had a kernel update. I looked in the Level 4 and 5 packages, which are not enabled by default, and saw the kernel update in there. So, a new user would not have those updates enabled by default and would have to actually enable those packages for installation via mintUpdate.

Yes, Mint is compatible with Ubuntu repositories, but you must also remember that Mint is NOT Ubuntu.

I have always found the Mint User Guide to be extremely helpful. You can get your copy from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php by clicking on the User Guide hyperlink. You can then read the PDF whenever you have time. You should find the information starting around page 57 to be educational in regards to updating and package management. The guide explains everything much better than I can. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby calibre97 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:07 pm

I mentioned this in the Other thread, but this is on-topic so here goes. While on vacation I saw kernel updates available from MintUpdate but I canceled because, well, I was on vacation and didn't want to bork my laptop. I haven't seen the kernel updates again. I'm on 2.6.27-7-generic. I ran MintUpdate and ticked the visible boxes for levels 4 and 5 and saw some new things that don't quite jibe with expectations. For level 4, I see radeon and ati xserver items, but I have an NVidia chip so don't know why those are available. Oh, Intel xserver is there as well so I guess everything shows up, not just what you've got. Interesting. Anyway, as for kernel stuff, I see restricted modules for 2.6.27-11.16, but linux-headers for 2.6.27-7.16. Then there's libc-dev for 2.6.27-11.27, and linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic for 2.6.27-7.16. See the mismatch with -7 and -11 kernel things? Which kernel would I wind up with if I selected all the non-video-related stuff, and what would it mean since GRUB didn't install properly back when I did the install from the released live CD? (I got my menu.lst entries from Hesse and I get GRUB from my Kubuntu partition.)
calibre97
Level 1
Level 1

Postby calibre97 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Weird behavior with the forums just now. Triple posted without any confirmation other than a server error. So I'm removing the duplicate text here.
calibre97
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:56 pm

calibre97,

I noticed your other post about the new kernel showing up in mintUpdate. I do not think that is the default behavior for mintUpdate since you verified you did not have level 4 or 5 updates enabled. I have no idea why it did that.

From what I have gathered, sticking with the default kernel will give you the most stable experience. Though, if you are more adept with Linux, the kernel updates should not be as problematic. Me, well, I use the default kernel and update a few of the level 3 packages that I feel are necessary. That method works best for me. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jyavenard on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:00 pm

I guess I haven't described the problem properly.

I didn't update using MintUpdate..

When I finished installing Mint, one of the option in the menu available was Update, which started synaptic...

I then did update all packages and it automatically upgraded the kernel, after that the PC refused to boot

My point was that if it's going to break your system when you upgrade using synaptic, then it shouldn't be available so easily to the user, directly in the application menu !

It's not like I started synaptic from the command line...

I couldn't be bothered trying to find out what was going on so I went back to Ubuntu for now ...

Jean-Yves
jyavenard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jyavenard on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:10 pm

mintweb site crashed with an error 500 again...
jyavenard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jyavenard on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:27 am

All right..

I installed mint again, this time on my macbook...

So sparky new install...
just done the second reboot...

Click on Menu on the bottom left corner.
Select Package Manager.

Click on "Mark All Upgrade"

it will install Linux 2.6.27-11 which will prevent the pc to boot from now on..

You have to admit, that for a new user : that you can't install ubuntu kernels without consequences when it is so easy to do so (and actually, which was for me the most obvious way to upgrade the packages) and automatic, it's rather non intuitive. And in fact , dangerous..

Jean-Yves
jyavenard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kwisher on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I ran into this same issue and after booting into the previous kernel I looked at the /boot/grub/menu.list and noticed there was a line missing from the new kernel option. I added the following line so that it was like the older kernel listing.

Code: Select all
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

Just make sure the kernel number matches to the correct version.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby digininja on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 pm

jyavenard wrote:
rivenought wrote:I think you are updating your system via Synaptic, which is not the suggested way to upgrade due to the possibilities of breakage. You will probably get much better results from upgrading via mintUpdate.

I thought Mint was compatible with Ubuntu package..

If Synaptic isn't safe, then I suggest not putting right after you click on the main application menu, nor have the default ubuntu repository present.

Because right now, it breaks Mint and is the first thing the user will do right after he/she clicks on the main menu..

I have to agree with this. I'm a seasoned linux user with gentoo, ubuntu, debian, arch and lfs all under my belt. I installed Mint, looked at the gnome menus and spotted update. I chose that and got synaptic, I'd read that mint was debian based so I assumed that it used synaptic as its package manager or at least synaptic was compatible with its own system so I let it do a full system upgrade. After that my system failed to boot and so I ended up here.

After reading about how friendly and easy to use mint is I'm disappointed that after my first reboot I've an unusable system. I can fix it and I'm happy playing with live cds and editing grub configs but as this is my work machine I'd rather not have to.
digininja
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:20 pm

rivenought wrote:
I have always found the Mint User Guide to be extremely helpful. You can get your copy from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php by clicking on the User Guide hyperlink.

This is very good advice. Trying not to sound too harsh, but why would you expect to be able to install a new OS that you know nothing about without reading and learning a little bit about it. Randomly clicking on things and trying to guess what the results might be seems to me to be an obvious prescription for breakage. Having said that, upgrading a kernel is a big step and should not be undertaken lightly. As a general rule of thumb, never upgrade a kernel without a good reason, ie. to fix a specific problem or gain a function that you need.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby digininja on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Fred wrote:rivenought wrote:
I have always found the Mint User Guide to be extremely helpful. You can get your copy from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php by clicking on the User Guide hyperlink.

This is very good advice. Trying not to sound too harsh, but why would you expect to be able to install a new OS that you know nothing about without reading and learning a little bit about it. Randomly clicking on things and trying to guess what the results might be seems to me to be an obvious prescription for breakage. Having said that, upgrading a kernel is a big step and should not be undertaken lightly. As a general rule of thumb, never upgrade a kernel without a good reason, ie. to fix a specific problem or gain a function that you need.

Fred

I assumed that as synaptic was there it was safe to use. Maybe I should have read more but if doing an upgrade with synaptic under Mint is so potentially dangerous then why give it as such an obvious position in the menu?

I've been running Arch for the last 18months and upgrade the kernel without thinking about it whenever there is a new one. Apart from once when the devs missed a config I've never had a problem doing it. If a new kernel comes out it is usually for a good reason and quite often security related. I want that upgrade as soon as I can have it.

What I'm trying to get at is that people click without thinking all the time. For a distro that is designed to be easy to use it is very easy to completely mess up your system doing something that seems innocent. I'll probably fix it and probably give Mint a bit more of a go but I can see some people doing the same as I did, having a bad first experience and just walking away.
digininja
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 pm

digininja,

I am not saying you don't have a valid point, because you do. It is just that Mint is in an unusual situation. Mint is not Ubuntu, but it does use the Ubuntu repos. Not all the packages, especially meta-packages, in the Ubuntu repos are always compatible with Mint. In fact, not all the packages in the repos are always entirely stable in Ubuntu either, for that matter. Mint has attempted to mitigated this problem by using MintUpdate and pining packages in specific risk levels. By keeping the update levels allowed low, maximum stability can be had. Allowing higher level updates may not always be trouble free and may require some additional Linux skills to get working properly. It is an attempt to provide for everybody's needs. New users should stay with the lower level updates but it provides the more experienced users the opportunity to live on the cutting edge, so-to-speak. Living on the cutting edge always entails the risk of some breakage and loss of stability, regardless of the distro. At least that has been my experience.

Synaptic is a very useful tool for the more experienced user. But as you have pointed out it does allow the new user an opportunity to break things. Reading the users manual, looking through the wiki, or even skimming through the forums would have saved many a new user from themselves. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby digininja on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:22 am

Fred wrote:Synaptic is a very useful tool for the more experienced user. But as you have pointed out it does allow the new user an opportunity to break things. Reading the users manual, looking through the wiki, or even skimming through the forums would have saved many a new user from themselves. :-)

Fred

I think that a good interface should prevent people from hurting themselves when they don't know what they are doing. People don't read manuals, wikis and forums they just click, telling people after the fact that they should have read the manual before clicking doesn't work.

Something as simple here as a popup before starting synaptic warning people that this wasn't the best package manage to use and offering to load the Mint alternative would help drive enthusiastic users in the right direction and avoid the bad experience of, I've installed, updated and bricked it.
digininja
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bongle on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 am

I has the same problem.
Like Kwisher said just ad this line to the menu.lst file.
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF ANY SYSTEM FILE YOUR ARE GOING TO CHANGE. ALSO MAKE A COPY ON FLASH MEDIA.

The file is found in the FileSystem->Boot->Grub folder but you will not be able to edit menu.lst unless you are logged in as Root.
By default, User:Root will not have a password. But if you gave it one I hope you can remember it. Just go to Control Centre and in the System section, choose Authorizations.

Click on Gconf System Values and click on grant. Hit Select User and choose your usual login name.
Also do this with Change Gconf mandatory values

Logout and log in as Root.
Copy the line
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
from your 2.6.27.7 boot option and and paste it into both 2.6.27.11 boot options at the exact same position they are in the other boot option. Don't forget to change -7 to -11.

Save the file and restart.
bongle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bongle on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 am

I had the same problem.
Like Kwisher said just ad this line to the menu.lst file.
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF ANY SYSTEM FILE YOUR ARE GOING TO CHANGE. ALSO MAKE A COPY ON FLASH MEDIA.

The file is found in the FileSystem->Boot->Grub folder but you will not be able to edit menu.lst unless you are logged in as Root.
By default, User:Root will not have a password. But if you gave it one I hope you can remember it. Just go to Control Centre and in the System section, choose Authorizations.

Click on Gconf System Values and click on grant. Hit Select User and choose your usual login name.
Also do this with Change Gconf mandatory values

Logout and log in as Root.
Copy the line
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
from your 2.6.27.7 boot option and and paste it into both 2.6.27.11 boot options at the exact same position they are in the other boot option. Don't forget to change -7 to -11.

Save the file and restart.
bongle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot