initramfs -- what does it want?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Re: initramfs -- what does it want?

Post by garda »

Now on trying to reboot from the Live DVD
Is that a typo, or do you actually have an Elyssa KDE CE Live DVD?
If the latter is true, where did you get it from?
The Mint team never released Live DVD's for any Elyssa editions.

I suspect you are having trouble with an unofficially altered (or tampered) version of the Live disc, am I correct?

The generic solution would be to burn the ISO all over again, at the lowest possible speed supported by the burning software and the disc. Try that and see how it turns out.

We also need some information regarding the technical specifications of your computer, such as:

- Make and model of the processor.
- RAM size.
- Mainboard chipset.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Post by garda »

Oh, I forgot that the KDE CE ISO was a DVD image. Sorry about that. :oops:

If you still get trouble with the new burn, your smallish amount of RAM may be the cause to the problem. I think so because you have 512 MB of system RAM and integrated graphics, judging by your mainboard chipset (Intel 845G). KDE CE Live DVD requires more RAM compared to the Main Edition's Live CD.

If your computer really does run on integrated graphics, it only has less than 512 MB for everything else (some portion of the RAM is reserved for graphics).

The XFCE CE or the Main (Gnome) Edition better suits your situation than KDE CE does, in my humble opinion.

Perhaps someone who knows better will correct me if I turn out to be wrong.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Thinking out loud....

With 512 RAM, you may have to try the install a couple more times to see if it catches. I read that in the release notes in regards to having the installer "fail."

There is also the option of "compatibility mode" which may help, and it usually will not hurt. I have done that before with positive results. Press any key during boot, choose "compatibility mode" from the menu, and go from there. I know it helps out during booting the live disc, but not sure about the rest of the installation. The Ubiquity installer has been known to flake out every now and then.

I agree that the Xfce or GNOME versions might work better, but KDE should still function just fine once installed. If the partitions are already set up with a generous /swap, then that will help.

Did Husse mention something about the Intel Brookdale chips recently? Brookdale sounds familiar for some reason.
garda

Post by garda »

@Kirsten:

You are welcome. :)

@rivernought:
Did Husse mention something about the Intel Brookdale chips recently? Brookdale sounds familiar for some reason.
You are absolutely right! Husse did mention Brookdale in some of his posts related to problems in Mint 6, not Mint 5 :

[SOLVED] Windows resize during game play
trouble installing linux mint on my dell system
no desktop effects with Mint 6

Return to “Installation & Boot”