[Solved] New MB - Can't install 17.3,install crash [Errno 5]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mtbsoft

[Solved] New MB - Can't install 17.3,install crash [Errno 5]

Post by mtbsoft »

I've just replaced the motherboard (ASRock Z170 Extreme4, i7, 32Gb) in my dev box but couldn't get the networking to work on the existing installs. Since I only installed about a week ago I figured it would be quicker to reinstall than try to fix a non-networked box (/home is on a different partition).

Well, try as I might, I cannot get 17.3 Cinnamon x64 to install. The most common error is the "[Errno 5] Input/output error" which I get almost every time... when the installer doesn't simply tell me its crashed (no feedback screen, just a full lockup).

Unfortunately, the failed installed crapped out my grub and the previous installation so I can't even boot to a old Mint 16 partition, the box is one big paperweight - I can fix grub but would prefer to get 17.3 installed.

I've checked the RAM, I've tried installing to different partitions (including to a brand new SSD), I've tried installing from USB and from DVD, reburned the discs, re-imaged the USB (unetbootin), checked the MD5 hash... I've even tried the no network cable trick - no good.

I'm really at a loss what else to try, I'm ready to tear my hair out. I've seen some people say they can install the latest Ubuntu in similar circumstances, but I don't want to go there.

Help... please!

Edit: I've also tried compatibility mode - this more often causes Cinnamon to crash then the installer to lockup, sometimes with a "Installer crashed" message, often not.

Interestingly I just tried using ext3 instead of ext4. It allowed me to do the partitioning but then the Install button did nothing. When I changed the / partition to ext4, Cinnamon crashed and the installer locked up.

Edit 2: As an experiment I just pulled down Ubuntu Mate 15.10 and tried that via a Unetbootin USB installation - got all the way through to the user name and machine name screen then... bam! "[Errno 5] Input/output error"

This is crazy, I am getting so p****d off! Please someone... come up with a combination I haven't tried!?!? (preferably the working one!) ;-P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
froitu

Re: New MB - Can't install 17.3 installer crashes [Errno 5]

Post by froitu »

I have the same problem.

Config

Dell Inspiron N5110
PC 64bits on Windows 7 pro

I can run the live version without any trouble. I installed Ubuntu without any trouble. I installed Ubuntu in dual-boot with Windows 10. I recently reinstalled Windows 7.

My installer is on an Apacer pendrive, with 8Go memory. I mounted the iso with universal pendrive installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/), without setting a persistent file for storing change (Step4)

What I want
I want to install Mint 17.3 in dual-boot with Windows 7.

What happened
1. I run the installer from the live version, using a try-before-install live version.
2. The installer don't show all the "next" buttons, it crashed some times. I restarted my pc several times, with several removing of crashed partitions.
3. As the error remain, I used the "previous" buttons. I started the installer normally, use I first clicked on "install Mint next to Windows 7", with ~450Go. Then I allocate about ~200Go to each OS. After I had to choose the disposition keyboard, and I could use the "Next" button. I use the "previous" ones. I re-clicked on "install Mint next to Windows 7", with ~200Go (because the partition have been good). I allocate ~100Go to each OS.
4. Everything happens normally next, and on the ultimate step, A message appeared, telling (in french, I am traducing as possible) :
The installer crashed
The installer crashed
---------------------------------------------
We are are sorry ; the installer crashed. When you will close this windows, we permit ourselves to fill up a bug report with the help of the integrated bug report tool. This tool will merge informations on your system and your installation process. The details will be sent on our bug report tool and a developper will take fix problem as soon as possible.
Here is a screen capture, for french speakers only : http://i.imgur.com/DO5jLKM.png

Thanks a lot for any help, any advise for my problem
Last edited by froitu on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I dont know much, but maybe you could try a 17 or 17.2 install, and then upgrade to 17.3 (easy via the update manager). Reason is that 17.3 uses a different kernel and xorg.
You could even try a LM 16 install (since this seemed to work) and dist-upgrade to 17 (then 17.3). The Mint team does not recommend the dist-upgrade method, but it worked for me for 16->17.

Also I have seen advice of removing ubiquity-slideshow in cases of installer crash.

Input/output error does seem like a bad error, check all the cables are well attached and connections are clean.

As a last resort, you can extract the hard drive, use another computer to install Mint on the drive, then reinstall the drive. If it's a legacy/BIOS install, it should work straight away. If it's a UEFI install, it may work straight away also, if the bootloader (grub) is at the same location (it should) ; otherwise you can use a live USB to repair the boot (e.g. re-registering grub in the boot entries with efibootmgr, or more radically reinstalling grub).
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

With I/O errors, not only should you check the cable connections, but try different ports and different cables.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

Make sure all BIOS settings are defaults. No overclocking, no messing with bus timings, no performance tweaks of any kind.

Remove all non-essential devices for the install (USB drives, extra video cards, etc.)

Double-check drive cables.

Run memtest for a few hours. If no errors, try another install.
mtbsoft

Post by mtbsoft »

@fabien85 The upgrading sounds promising, hadn't thought of going back to 16 so thanks for the idea. I believe I tried a 17.0 but can't swear to it so that's another option.

I just saw the ubiquity-slideshow issue mentioned this morning so that's yet another possibility, I'm also going to try putting the old graphics card from the previous incarnation back and using that instead of the on-board graphics, perhaps that might stabilise Cinnamon - I've seen some posts about nvidia drivers... If I can do that I might be able to see some logs.

As for cables, sockets and so on, all new cables tried plus the old ones that worked before, new drives, old drives; as for bios settings, all set as out of the box, secure boot is off.

Second to last resort will be to put the SSD in the laptop and rebuild there, hopefully that will result in a system that boots and has networking on the new board, otherwise it's putting the old board back, rebuilding that, putting the new MB back in and then trying to sort the networking issue off-line.

It's not even as if I'm trying to dual boot with Windows (sigh), it ain't supposed to be this hard!

Does anyone know if there is an alternative install path these days, like the old alternative installer images you used to be able to get?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Have you gone into the BIOS or UEFI settings and disabled Secure Boot?
Have you tried both UEFI and Legacy?
I wish I had a better idea - but the only thing I can think of if that fails is the solution I came to on one new build which refused to boot any Mint, UEFI or Legacy, DVD or USB - that is, I installed Korora with the Cinnamon desktop, which has worked fine for the user of that computer.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

mtbsoft ,

I know that you say the motherboard is new (i.e. new to you), but it could have been on the shelf somewhere for some time.

Go to the motherboard web site and check that you have the latest version of BIOS.

I recently purchased a new motherboard and had all sorts of trouble with it. It turned out to be poorly implemented BIOS. Luckily the manufacturer was on the ball and had released a newer version.

Since the update I have not had a single problem.

Best regards Keith
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Yes looking for a firmware/BIOS update is a good idea. When you apply the update (took around 2 minutes on one of my computers), make sure power is not going to go out.

You have secure boot off which is good, but try austin.texas solution of a legacy install.
Go into the firmware interface and try to find a setting for the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) and turn that on (if it's not on already) ; then try to turn off UEFI, how-to depends on the firmware, like there could be a switch UEFI=On/Off or boot mode="UEFI and Legacy"/"UEFI only"/"Legacy only" or something else. If you cant find a way to turn off UEFI, you have to force the live media to boot in legacy mode ; I'm not sure how to do that, probably you have to choose the good boot override from the firmware interface. e.g. if you boot from CD/DVD there should be two boot options, and one of them may have 'UEFI' in the name so the other is legacy mode. Once the live media is booted, you can check the boot mode following instructions of this excellent page. Basically "dmesg | grep -i EFI" and if you get a lot of output it's UEFI mode, otherwise it's legacy.

Additionally to live USB and CD/DVD, I'm not aware of alternative install methods. Well in principle UEFI is able to boot from network with a IPV4 or IPV6 address, but frankly I have no idea how this works. And I dont see why it would fare better during install.

Good luck !
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

mtbsoft wrote:Does anyone know if there is an alternative install path these days, like the old alternative installer images you used to be able to get?
Regarding alternative install methods, for me, burning a Mint DVD or creating a live Mint USB are both "alternative" methods that I practically never use. I just boot my Rescatux CD and use the SuperGrub2 menu to boot the .iso files directly from the hard drive or a flash drive.
I wrote a tutorial on how to do that → Boot multiple ISO's with Rescatux
Linux Linx 2018
mtbsoft

Post by mtbsoft »

The plot thickens! I'm now starting to suspect hardware.

So I tried removing the slideshow - no joy, then retried the Ubuntu Mate USB from last night (I though I'd put 17.3 back on it)... and it installed, but then locked up and wouldn't boot.

Various other things including trying updating the firmware - it would connect to teh download site but not download(?).

So (hangs head in shame) I decided to put Windows on it to test/prove the hardware...

7.1 wouldn't give me keyboard/mouse (wireless).
7.0 wouldn't load.
8.1 Got part way through install then the install crashed with...a File Not Found type of error (YAY!).

So it's starting to look like a motherboard fault. Going try a W10 install just to be safe (I have a work MSDN so can try 'em all) and then going to take half the memory out and try again, swap the memory, try again - if that doesn't change things the memory is good, otherwise I'll work out which stick is bad.

If it is hardware, I then just have to persuade the retailer to replace the board but at least it will explain the install behaviour and lockups.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions and helping keep me sane. I'll report back on further progress as and when.
mtbsoft

Post by mtbsoft »

"It's a stiff, bereft of life, it rests in peace"

Took the box to the retailer today (PLE Computers, Wangara, WA) so they could diagnose it in situ., wouldn't even boot - motherboard was completely DOA.

The tech. who worked on it was even good enough to swap the old board out and completely setup the new one, including updating the BIOS, despite me buying it as parts.

At home, it took just ten minutes to install 17.3 and be up and ruinning... sweeeeet!

Thanks again for your support, this is why I love Linux!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That is great news.
I am glad you got it worked out !
Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Linux Linx 2018
froitu

Re: [Solved] New MB - Can't install 17.3,install crash [Errn

Post by froitu »

I can't tell why, it seems I didn't make anything particular, original or different, but one day, the Mint's installation succeed.
mtbsoft

Re: [Solved] New MB - Can't install 17.3,install crash [Errno 5]

Post by mtbsoft »

One final update to add... three days later all was dead again. Got another motherboard - bios wouldn't update, couldn't get past the boot/bios screens.

Took it all back and... seems I had a defective CPU(!) - they swapped a new chip in and all was good once more, though the first and second boards were still found to be toast. Checked the PSU to check it wasn't the cause (it wasn't). Man, did I get the Friday afternoon hardware or what.

I do still have one other issue with the new board... but that's a story for another thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”