Upgrading from Darnya to Felecia

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Upgrading from Darnya to Felecia

Postby Wesdog on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

I have LinuxMint 4 Darnya installed and would like to upgrade to LinuxMint 6 Felecia. I have searched for threads on upgrades but didnt find anything helpful. There were a lot of upgrade threads and questions but nothing about upgrading from 4 to 6 and skipping 5. I would like to do it without having to start over with a fresh install. I dont use linux a great deal but boot in once or twice a week and play around with it. I have kept all the updates current on Darnya. So whats the best most painfree way to go in and upgrade to Felecia.

Thanks alot in advance and if I missed a thread where this is already discussed point me to it and accept my apology for not looking hard enough. I only did 3 searches and went a couple of pages deep exploring the threads and didnt find anything. It might have slipped past right under my nose.

Thanks,
WesDog
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading from Darnya to Felecia

Postby proxima_centauri on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21596

Essentially the only way to upgrade from 4 to 6 is to reinstall with the LiveCD, if you do not have a seperate /home partition, then you will have to make a backup if you want to keep all your configuration settings/personal files
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Wesdog on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I am downloading Felecia now. Installing darnya was smooth and I did make a seperate /home so I will back everything up and install mint 6.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:22 am

Just a reminder, you mentioned making a backup, which is always a good idea; but from the LiveCD, you can do a manual install and keep /home. You can reinstall the main "/" part of the system on your system partition, and select to use your /home partition also as /home, without formating it.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot