SOLVED - Frozen during partition resizing..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

SOLVED - Frozen during partition resizing..

Postby BenN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 am

Hi everyone,

I've just made the switch from Ubuntu to Mint and it's great :D

I'm in the middle of installing it for someone on their oldish laptop (1.4Ghz 512mb ram) but have run into a slight problem :? I'm resizing the Windows XP partition so I can create a new one for Mint & whilst it was doing it, I tried opening up Firefox (bad idea) everything froze, and the screen has gone blank...

What will happen if I reboot the laptop to start again? Will the XP partition be lost? Oh and of course this has to happen the one time I don't bother making a backup :(

At the moment I haven't turned the laptop off because it sounds like it might still be running the partition resizing even though the screen is blank (all that shows up is the mouse).

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by BenN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenN
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Frozen during partition resizing..

Postby Boo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 am

can you get to a terminal window?
ctl-alt-F1

you could then do a ps aux or use top to see if the partitioner is running.
also the hard disk light should be a give away.

once the partitioner has finished you could try to restart X (ctl-alt-backspace).
this will kill the installer but the system will be running still.
you can then start the installer again.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby BenN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks for your reply, I'd already done like you said & switched to terminal ps gave me 2 results:
6932 tty1 00:00:00 bash
15035 tty1 00:00:00 ps

The desktop has reappeared since my 1st post but there is nothing on it because I switched desktops before it froze. I can't seem to switch back as it's always busy so it must still resizing the partition. Before it froze I saw that there was about 2 hours left resizing the partition so I'm hoping that after that's done it'll return back to normal.

Hopefully everything will start working again once it's finished, I'll update this thread to let you know how it went. Thanks for your help.
BenN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 am

Did you type "ps" or "ps aux" in terminal? I believe you need to issue the second one to see all thats currently running
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby BenN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am

I just typed ps, I've managed to get System Monitor open now so I can see what's running. I can't see the partition manager in there but I'm not sure what it's process is called so maybe I'm just missing it.

I've added the workspace switcher to the main panel but can't seem to switch back to the 1st workspace but I can see in it the window icons for the partition manager, etc... so it's still running which is a good thing :)
BenN
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED - Frozen during partition resizing..

Postby BenN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Everything is back to normal and it's installing now, seems like the computer was just being slow. Thanks for your help.
BenN
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot