Mint 6 Live Cd wont boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
85stang

Mint 6 Live Cd wont boot

Post by 85stang »

I have a Dell XPS 720 that Mint 5 works great on. Mint 6 will not boot, it goes to a mint@mint prompt and won't start the GUI. if you type startx it gives you this:
Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

I would really like to upgrade to 6 and would like to get past this problem. This happens with the 64 or 32 bit version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Mint 6 Live Cd wont boot

Post by garda »

Have you tried booting with Compatibility Mode option?

As for the command part, this is the right one to start X in Mint and Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop; sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
Or just press CTRL+ALT+F7. If you get an error message, but aren't given a prompt, you can press CTRL+C.
85stang

Re: Mint 6 Live Cd wont boot

Post by 85stang »

I tried the compatibitly mode option, it nets the same thing. I tried the sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start command, but it just gives me a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, and I can switch back to terminal with ctrl-alt-F1 and back to the cursor with ctrl-alt-F7 I found a post on ubuntu forums where someone had a similar problem and it was suggested to try editing the xorg.conf file with busid "PCI:6:0:0" where you put the actual bus id of your particular video card, which i verified with the xorg on my hard drive now but that didnt work either.

Return to “Installation & Boot”